Ls wiring

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Mar 15, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think that really depends on the harness. I know for a fact that's not how it works on the PSI harness because oil pressure as well as all my other gauges don't go through the ECM. With you turn the key on, it does prime the pump and does shut it off if the car dies. I believe it's going off of something like RPM. Youre also not getting away a fuse box and relays. You're going to need at least 2 relays and associated fuses... I actually like the set-up of the GM box compared to the PSI

2. Squeaky192

Squeaky192 Veteran Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I know you need relays, but you don't need a giant box that is 1/3 full taking up space.

Our LS wiring comes with one of two fuse block styles that are much easier to hide:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yep, I guess GM figured muscle cars have lots of space for extra $hit. That fuse box is big...

I too am installing Dakota gauges. I may hit you up with a few questions if I get confused. Also, when you say "removed quite a few wires from my chassis wiring", are you referring to the GM harness or the Painless one?

Mike, my mess isn't worthy of pictures yet...I am attempting several mini projects simultaneously. :(

4. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Do your harnesses have relays for fans too? The GM one has the relays those too

5. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I used Dakota Digital's BIM-01-2 module to plug into my OBD-2 plug to avoid running separate sending units, so I unpinned all the sending unit wires at the firewall from my Painless chassis harness. It pulls all data from the OBD-2 plug, and all I had to run was an oil pressure sensor.

However, I have heard of some issues with the protocol GM uses in the E-Rod kits, so I would call Dakota Digital and verify your computer/harness will work.

The BIM-01-2 module is only like $100 and well worth it to not have to mess with extra sending units.

6. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Just the ground trigger wires, but I wanted to keep my fan relays near the battery with the amperage spike some fans have on start up, so I just used our weatherproof fan relay and mounted it in the inner fender by the battery.

7. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    What look for is something that can be mounted. The 411 ECM harness you have pictured looks just like my psi. The wires come from the bottom and not ideal to mount

8. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I ended up putting my 0411 PCM in the driver side kick panel, and routed the wires where the cable pull runs for the astro-ventilation. Wasn't my first choice, but was the only spot I could mount it without losing access to my glovebox, etc.

As far as the wires coming from the bottom, that's how the terminals for the PCM connector are going to be on that style PCM, regardless of who's harness it is.

9. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    No the fuse block. The wires are terminated on the bottom so the box can be mounted flat to anything.

10. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    BTW....What is the LS7 T56 part #? all I can find is the Auto trans