LS Swap ignition wire question?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ChrisK, Jun 21, 2019.

1. ChrisK

ChrisK Member

Im almost ready to get my 73 with a LY6 running. I have most of the wiring done but I keep confusing myself with how to wire the ignition to start the engine with the factory 73 key/ignition.

What wire can I use to get Keyed 12v under the hood?

Thanks

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Most people replace the original pink resistor wire going to coil with a normal piece of wire. It has power during crank and run (lot of people think it only works in run since the coil got power of a full 12v from yellow wire from starter during start, but I checked it on my car when I was re-doing my M & H harness to add some stuff). You can get the Packard terminal that is on the end of the wire at the firewall connector from NAPA for less than a $1.00 If you don't have the right tool to roll the crimp terminals )one set bite into wire other set bite into bare wire. Crimp it the best you can then solder slightly to ensure a good connection that will not come loose.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Your engine should be stand alone to your key ignition. When you turn the key to run, in the factory wiring will energize your distributer or coil wire. That wire should be wired to be used to “turn on” the ECM. The power to run the system should be coming from your stand alone fuse/relay box where a 8-10ga is the main power source.

In my car the ONLY tie into the factory harness is that turn on wire.

4. ChrisK

ChrisK Member

Where do I put the thick purple wire that comes off the starter?

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The starter wiring doesn’t change. Wire it as required for a sec gen Camaro. It’s not supposed to interface with your stand alone harness unless you chose to feed the main power off it for the engine harness. (Same stud as the battery cable)

6. ChrisK

ChrisK Member

Forget to reply earlier but got it up and running.

Thanks for the help guys...