LS F body oil pan mistake?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 1934chevycoupe, Mar 28, 2014.

1. 1934chevycoupe

1934chevycoupe Veteran Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    last night, i finally got around to swapping out the oil pan that came w/ my LS3, w/ the F body pan. it's supposed to be a corvette setup- pan & waterpump. anyway, today i'm cleaning the oil from the original windage tray and pan, and i noticed this part on the vette pan, that i don't recall the fbody pan having. i'm wondering if i should have transferred it over from1 pan to the other. it's the part the pencil is pointing to in the right side of the pic. i got the pan as a pkg. from Pace Perf. f body oil pan, windage tray, oil p/u, all new bolts, dipstick and dipstick tube. not sure why they went w/ the 3/4 length windage tray. the other one had a full length tray, and w/ a little mod to the oil p/u mount, it would have fit.

Attached Files:

2. 1934chevycoupe

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    closer pic

Attached Files:

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I could be talking out my arse, but that looks like the pressure relief from a displacement on demand set up. It you are not running a displacement on demand oil pump you don't want it. What is the motor out of and does it have DOD?

4. 1934chevycoupe

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    the engine that pan came off of is a Chevy Perf. crate LS376/480. i'm pretty sure the engine isn't DOD. it's supposed to be a Corvette oil pan and water pump. Looking at Hooker's instructions for their front drive system, under the id'ing the water pump, they show it as a LS3-G8 waterpump, so that should coincide w/ the pan. i don't think any of Chevy Perf.'s engines are DOD. i'm pretty sure DOD is only compatible w/ an auto trans.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    These are the pictures I find online. My engine was missing the pan so I don't have any hands on experience. I'm just going off what I read on the net (that's always true right?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same part??

The valley cover and/or the lifter retainer trays will give the DOD away pretty quick. Being a crate engine I would wonder if they used the DOD pump and that's why they left the relief valve in. The DOD requires a lot more volume to operate correctly (again internet reading). Without the oil going up through the deactivating system the pressure/volume is too much without the valve.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  6. 1934chevycoupe

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    the bottom pic is definitely the same part, although the one on my pan seems to have some kinda cover on it. i PM'd sevitz5 and asked him, cause i remembered he had done the LS swap, had a truck engine and also needed to swap over to the fbody pan. he didn't have anything like that on his.

so, i guess i don't need it. just wished i had looked to see if there was any provision on the new pan for it for peace of mind. i could if it was a dry sump pan, but it wasn't. just a much larger-longer sump than the fbody. i guess i will have to find out exactly what it fits, to be able to have any chance of selling it.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    It really depends on the year of the engine. DOD started in 07, at least on the trucks. I'm concerned the valve was on the crate engine. I have read a few guys with the lower volume pump went ahead and ran the valve without issues. But I have also heard guys that ran the high volume pump without the valve had issues. You really need to know what pump is in it.

8. 1934chevycoupe

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    i read those articles, and came away w/ that the 1 guy was losing pressure as it got hotter, and he didn't have the relief valve, which in that case, i wouldn't think you'd want it.

i will have to do some reading tomorrow. i remember 1 of my ls swap books talks about DOD and how you can tell because the water pump is spaced away from the block to accomodate a thicker front timing cover. now how you tell about the oil pump i have no idea. i have a ls rebuild book also i'll look through. definitely want to address this now while it's on the engine stand and i can flip it over to remove the pan.

thanks knuckle for your help. maybe i should post this on ls1tech also.

9. 1934chevycoupe

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    ok, just got off of ls1tech's site, and read a thread from a guy, that says that relief valve is for AFM. he says that if it's going on an engine w/o AFM, then to remove the valve and plug the hole. goes on to say that GM is putting that valve in all their oilpans. that doesn't make much sense to put a relief valve on an engine that doesn't need it, although i could see the need to drill and tap and plug the hole for all applications. more research i guess.

any LS experts out there?