Lower motor mounts?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 71RS6SPD, Sep 25, 2017.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you can't make anything else work, just cut a motor plate to fit.
    I wish I knew more about using the bottom holes only???
    I use a full plate and get the full strength of using the H2O pump holes.

I know people have used flat stock before instead of an actual plate or ears, but at my power, I would never even consider it.
    Maybe a full plate, cut around the H2O pump and use the bottom 2 holes and maybe a head hole???

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    Do they have a replacement part number for them, or is there an alternate part with the same specs available?

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    I would take some key measurements to see if how much you need to lower your engine at the front to get it to the 3* level, if not, you may have to lift the back of the trans anyway and do some massaging of the trans tunnel to get the driveline located properly.

4. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

You'll think I am crazy.
    Add one. Drive it. The floor will self clear. Especially if it's hitting steel shifter / bolts.
    Add another one. Etc.

5. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I added all I could fit 3/8"s. Now working on pinion shims.

6. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I'm reviving this thread to get feedback from you guys. Eventually I was able to get 1" of shims under the back of the trans. I opened the shift are a little do so this and now the trans is touching the floor (LT1 T56). The engine is still at 4.7 degrees down. Before I move the pinion to that angle (I know >3 degrees is bad) I want to move the engine mounts down 1". This will allow the trans to go up another 1/2" or so and get me to the 3 degrees. Another added benefit is room for a taller air cleaner element. My research has show that I already have the lowest mount setup (orig 2bbl 350 4 spd).

I just got a 4 post lift yesterday and it's awesome.. No more crawling on the floor! The lift has allowed me to come up with a solution. I plan to purchase another set of engine frame mounts. I will weld up the openings on the sides of the brackets below the bolt holes so I can make another set of holes 1' lower and use a set of solid motor mounts. There is 2" or more below the pan to the frame and I cannot detect any other issues with the engine being lower.

Does this plan sound like a decent one?

I do not want to open the floor up as it will effect the completed interior console woodwork and remove room for the existing head unit under the dash.

7. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
  8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    You may be good with those, the moroso mounts I used where the same description, and my pan clears the frame by .640. You may get the 1 inch or slightly more out of them.

9. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Thanks for your reply!. So Moroso makes a part similar to the Allstar ALL38114 and you have them installed? What year is your car - do the frame holes line up? It seems these may have 4 bolt holes instead of 3 - did you just use 3? If these work, AWESOME! Thanks!

10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    My pleasure, Moroso "made" the frame engine mount that I used to lower the engine, Summit Racing says no longer available. If the AllStar mount is close in dimension it would be worth trying. I have attached a pic, centre of bolt to frame is 1.180 inches, and puts the pan just a little over 1/2 from the frame. Hope this helps.

Attached Files: