LOW mileage '74Z. Where's "Waldo" critique?

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by NoneToPass, Dec 10, 2016.

1. NoneToPass

NoneToPass Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
  2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    You could not have both side Z28 fender badges and the stripe kit together. It was 1 or the other.

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    High preformance European leather shifts boot

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Minnesota
    Too bad some of it was messed with, but I see some things consistent with a low mile car.
    I'm not sure why he is asking $40K with everything that is missing and altered.

5. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Dick Winkles sent me this statement below in an email back in November 2010 about his 74 Z28 that he purchased new in 1973. His 74 Z28 had the emblems and stripes on it when he purchased it.
    "My car had the emblems on the fenders from the factory. I know most agree that the emblems would not be installed from the factory with the stripes. Maybe the dealer installed the stripes on my car, maybe it was an oddity of early builds (my car was built second week of September 1973), I don't have the answer."

I wonder if could be a possible mistake of putting on both. He sent me a copy of his 74 Z28 window sticker back in November 2010 and Sport Stripes were listed on it.
    Please review this youtube link where he talks about his 74 Z28 along with some of his other cars in his collection.

George

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I saw that video last year, good stuff.

7. NoneToPass

NoneToPass Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Good eye on the shift boot, I missed that.
    I would tend to agree that many of these came with emblems and stripes. I see too many like that for it to be all owners adding them.
    Here's what I saw:
    1) The cluster bezel is for a Type LT
    2) Passenger fender has been replaced with a post 75 style fender (indented as opposed to smooth [early 74] or cut-out [late 74]). That VIN falls right where they changed from smooth to cut-out).
    3) Never seen that sticker on gage cluster or the "Special Chevrolet Equipment" on the trunk lid.
    4) A TON of mildew in the interior. Makes me wonder what the underside looks like.

That's my $0.02

8. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    I noticed that the Z28 emblem on the driver side is not placed in the correct area on the fender. So, looks like they were added. The build sheet states that the sport stripes came on it from the factory. I agree with NoneToPass about the items in your number 7 post. I was wondering of how underneath this Z28 looks too.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    I see the rest of your points but the wodgrain dash was part of the Z54 interior decor quiet sound package . It's available on the sport coupe for sure . My 73 sport coupe RS Z28 has it .

74Z28GC3 likes this.
  10. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Just because add people add the same chit to a car .....two thousand people doing the same thing ....does not make it right.

There is a ton of bogus stuff on that car to be asking that.

74Z28GC3 likes this.