Low cost roll around toolboxes?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 18, 2019.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Trying to come up with a better system of storing the tools I accumulated over the years. I currently have two basic roll around toolboxes. One being a Husky brand I got from Home Depot a few years back for $299.

Looking at something to add to it, but not spend a ton of money. I need something to better organize all of my sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers. I also have some specialty tools too.

But I def do not want to pay over a grand to 5k for something...I'm not a mechanic and just need something for a home shop lol.

You would think the Harbor Freight (US General) brand toolboxes would be cheap to buy. But they are actually a few hundred higher than the Craftsman and Husky tool boxes the lumber stores sell....so that's out of the picture. Plus they look cheap as hell, it's kind of sad the prices they are asking for them.

I was actually looking at this one today and really liked it and it matches the other Husky cabinet I have already.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...-and-Cabinet-Combo-Black-VRC-4116BK/303499569

They also have this one that I like for a few hundred more

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6...d-Cabinet-Combo-in-Black-H61CH4TR6P/305220490

Are there any others I might be missing? I am pretty sure I will end up getting one of these, but looking for some other ideas.

I am also taking inventory of my tools and putting them in a spreadsheet as I am typing this I realized this would be good for insurance purposes.

But the main thing is to see what I don't have and what I could buy to make a more complete set.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

I'm a little confused here... I opened the links, and the second one was $100 cheaper than the first link. Both nice looking boxes. The thing I wanted to mention is, where we are to insure my tools at home, there's a limit on a standard HO policy. Don't know how extensive your tool collection is, or how the policies read in Arkansas, but to insure above their limit, I would have needed an "Inland Marine Tool Floater". Weird name.

3. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you aren't too choosey, try searching Craigslist or one of the other online apps. - Most of what I have is decent stuff that someone else was needing to get rid of for at least 1/2 of new cost. - Granted, not everything was what I had in mind at the time, but I've adapted to the shape/size, and now they so ingrained, I could not imagine having anything else. - My best purchase was when I was looking for a steel surface work bench. I ended up finding a guy on Craigslist who had some industrial cabinets from an old Goodyear factory. - Extremely high quality stuff..., stainless steel hinges, roller bearings, sturdy steel construction and a Phenolic Resin countertop which is virtually indestructible. - I bought a 10' section and by the time I had it home and out of the truck I realized how awesome it was and went back for another 14'. I now have 24 feet of this in an L-section that I could not have planned better if that's what I started looking for. - I ended up with 24' of awesomeness for the same $400 I was willing to spend on a standard 6'-8' bench.

In my opinion, a lot of times older is better, and while they may not look as pretty, they are typically made of much better construction and may just need a coat of paint and some grease on the bearings.

--

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The boxes in your links to Home Depot look like a decent box for the money. I don't know of any cheaper ones. My experience with used stuff around here is that most people want more money for their used ones than you have to pay for new ones.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

This is a very good point. I bought cabinets from a guy who found them on line at an auction. They were from a hospital ER. I keep frame machine fixtures in them. They ain't pretty, but there's 3-400 pounds in each drawer, and you can open and close the drawers with one finger. Built better than any box I own.

6. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

That's what I am seeing around here. I have seen quite a few US Generals (Harbor Freight) on CL where these jokers actually want MORE than what they cost new...it's crazy

And there's a lot of Matco stuff, but they are in the high dollar range

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I agree on this one. I've got a Snapon tool chest with the "Captain America" covering. I got it in a trade for a pickup years ago. A lot of these guys who go to technical schools get a set of tools with their tuition. If they get a scholarship, they get the tools without paying for them. Every now and then, you'll see a tool box like mine on CL. Just make CERTAIN they have the keys so you know it isn't stolen. Well, probably not.

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I used to hate the Harbor Fright ones but their new tool boxes are now made pretty good. I would have no trouble at all buying one if I did not have my giant Matco box.

budro6968 likes this.
  9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Irrelevant Member Lifetime Gold Member

The techs in the Ryder truck shop where I park all have those US General boxes from Harbor Freight. They swear by them. I've actually been out to our local HF and inspected them up close. They are made pretty well for the advertised price. If/when I grow out of my Craftsman box, the HF box will likely get the nod.

10. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

I have two Husky boxes. I really like them.