Low Cost but quality Torque converter for 425ft lbs ??

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Aceshigh, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Seeking a used or new lock up 27 spline torque converter for a GM 200-4R
    conversion I'm doing behind my Olds Rocket 350 in a 1970 442 tribute.
    ~3700lbs, 3.73 posi, 750cfm carb, etc.

It's got roughly ~425ft lbs of torque at the crank. (340rw torque)
    So I need to be sure it will survive and not blow up on me.

I've been looking at Dacco's Performance Plus line.
    But also found these ?? http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=99
    Don't need a super high end racing one because I don't race the car.
    Looking for a budget inexpensive street cruising option but one that isn't a POS.

If someone has a spare that's in great condition PM me details.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. SS2001

SS2001 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Lithia Springs, GA
    I was very happy with a Jegs 3000 stall in my TH350. Don't know if they have one for the 200r4?

3. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Found one from Roadrunner Converters for $134 WOOT!!!!
    2200-2600 and good up to 500hp they said.
    Just have to mention I need the 27 spline.

Thanks Dave.

4. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Ace, Edge makes a nice converter and can set it up for the correct stall. Don't know what they charge for a "cheap" converter. My setup was around 600 custom built. I think you may want to think about how important a converter is and maybe adjust the budget a bit.

Jake also mentioned awhile back another good converter Company who had decent pricing. Drop him a PM

You also really want to be able to lock the converter. Trust me on that if you want to takes some trips.

5. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Rick, I tried PM'ing, his inbox was full and he said to email him which is his preferred method. He is either on vacation, extremely busy, or I've worn out my free advise meter without a purchase. :crazy: I haven't heard back from him, and that was close to a week ago.

BTW Jake was the one who told me about Roadrunner a few years ago. Knuckle Dragger just refreshed my memory because I have gaping holes in it from clubbing. LOL Lockup is a definite, I did ask.

I'll look at Edge too tho. Dacco is the largest and most common remanufacturer and they quoted me $275 for a Performance Plus.

RICK
    BTW - I'm on the hunt for any good 200-4R cores from 84-87 Buick Regals with 307ci 4bbl, and 85-88 Monte Carlo SS's. If you know of a good cheap core. Let me know. I'm having my FIL scour the Chicago yards he knows the guys at now.

6. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Roadrunner doesn't ring a bell. That is just a really cheap price for a lock up. I think based on my experience you do get what you pay for with a part like this.

Cruise the turbo buick site under trannies and see what you can glean over there. They might have what you are looking for in the vendor or for sale section as well. You won't need anything fancy but you do need some upgrades to a stock tranny for it to work like you'll want it to.

7. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Alright, I guess I'll check out other options then.
    Did seem a bit on the low end. They claim up to 500hp but I hear ya on ya get what you pay for. It would help if I knew what to look specifically for in the TC to know if it's a quality piece. Like I said thou, street cruiser, not drag strip brawler. He told me torrington bearings, brazed fins, etc. (all Greek to me)

As for the trans build, I've been doing TONS of homework on this.
    I'm sourcing everything from TurboBuick's and OldsPower favorite guy (seemingly) Chris @ CK performance. Jake don't do 200-4R's anymore and he recommended I get a Stage II 700R4 from Chris 7 years ago, and I did. Matt's 73 now owns it. Great guy, and gets tons of positive reviews. I'm putting these parts in.

Stage I kit(2nd one down w Hardened Stator tube + Sun Shell)
    4340 Billet drum These first 2 things are on sale this week for $699
    Rebuild 200-4R DVD and
    CK's 200-4R Performance Overhaul Booklet
    So far $800 in parts and training, plus the tools, core, and TC.
    It's worth it to me because it will demystify the transmission world.
    Just need to grab a spring compressor KD 2398 tool, and snap ring pliers.

Old thread, but Jake always recommended Chris @ CK for this trans.
    http://nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20490

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  8. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    I've been out of town for most of the last week and very busy with a memorial service for a Ranger buddy at Ft. Lewis.

I don't remember seeing your email, what address did you send it to?

Roadrunner makes a decent stock type (12") restalled converter.

I no longer do business with CK Performance. I also no longer sell 200-4Rs or rebuild kits.
    We are averaging one 4L80E build a day from the shop plus other performance work and I still do some "other" work on occasion. So we don't have the time to build the 200-4Rs and other units we used to do.

Edge builds good converters, we sell quality converters but I can't match Roadrunner on a stock diameter type converter.

I used a Roadrunner to replace the stock GN converter I was using in my Chevelle when I had a 200-4R in it. It performed well behing the BBC, held up to some severe abuse, and was priced right.

I use a local builder for those types of units now but they are slightly more expensive, however they take care of me if there are any issues. I've had to restall ONE in 3-4 years of using them. Maybe two now depending on what the customer decides.

9. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Well first, and foremost, my condolences for the loss of your friend bro. [​IMG]

Would that $134 for the 4L60e 2200-2600rpm range work good ya think?? (He said just ask for the 2004R 27 spline)
    I don't know which one you got.

http://www.roadrunnerconverters.com/gm.htm

I got a few local trans cores for $50 to $100.....but I don't know if the V6 valve bodies can
    be beefed up with those rebuild kits or if I just need to start with a V8 VB ???
    I heard shift calibration was a real bitch sometimes......but I don't know.

BTW I sent that email to your email on your site.
    I was asking you if you sold parts rebuild kits and billet forward drums for this app and prices

With the TH350 behind my Olds 350 now, I would venture to guess it's probably a stock converter.
    I can't peel out with 425ft lbs, 3.73 posi and 285/40/18 Nitto 555 rubber. :confused:
    I had no problems with the 2.78 peg leg and original dinky tires though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  10. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    what type of clutch is in it, carbon, or cheap stock crap? You really get what you pay for w/ these things...