Low $$$ anti-theft ideas

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by lluciano77, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    only problem with that is noise distortion that you would get going into the dist running it all the way 2 the truck and back, unless it was relayed.

2. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

Most crooks know there is a distributor or coil kill switch. All they have to do is jumper the break. It will be obvious because you can see the hot going out, and the switchleg coming back.

3. dui's Z

dui's Z Guest

I've always(even before I had a ride)considered setting up some sort of series.You know,flip this and push that to work both fuel and spark.Theres also those elec. exaust cut outs for open headers. If you could use somthing like that in the system somwhere under the car so theres no way the motor(if started) could scavenge exaust. I don't know if it would hurt the engine(if it even worked)but,its better than replacing an entire car! As far as being towed away by theives.., good dam insurance thats all I can say.Honstly though unless its top dollar and gone in 60., crooks I don't think anyone would take the time to track down multiple deterents for fuel and spark.I worry about someone stealing specific parts like emblems.tire combos,trim and such. Even getting in the car and tearing apart the interior.Prevention is the first step so, try never to put your car into that scenerio. Keep up the ideas though,hell you never know who's reading this now so I'll mix it up and never let the car into a bad situation.

4. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    I have a new/accidental anti-theft. Broke the cotter pin in the shifter, cable popped off. Hard 2 steal a car that wont shift out of park.

5. william

william Veteran Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Indiana,P.A. U.S.A.
    If the car is in storage, what about removing the battery, and the rotor from the dist.? plus club the steering wheel, and cut the wheels sharp to one side?
    Keep in mind this would be for a car in storage in a garage, during the winter months

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    The very best anti theft deterrent I've ever seen was a 120# black German sheppard. As long as the owner was there that dog was the kindest gentlest animal you'd every want to meet. BUT if the owner was not there, do not put a hand on the car or you'd pull back a bloody stump! Said car was a 67 Impalla SS 427 convertable that never got stolen when he owned it.

7. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    I have my battery in the trunk and the required disconnect switch. The switch is painted black so it blends in on the black tail panel. The switch handle comes off with a small screw and I take it off when in doubt.

I also have 4 different color, but unmarked switches on the ashtry panel. Manual side of elec fan, fuel pump, nitrous sys arming, and line lock.

When stored for the winter, I keep the engine in the basement of the house.:mad: