Low $$$ anti-theft ideas

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by lluciano77, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Little Naples

Little Naples Veteran Member

I'm not that old (WWII) but I do remember when I was a kid in the fifties trucks dragging ground chains and even cars with grounding straps on the undercarriage to prevent static shocks when you opened the door.

2. Dragula

Dragula Veteran Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    GPS unit . . . . Welcome to the 21st century.

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    but most theifs who plan on driving the car away are prolly going to pass by the hard target.

4. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

But at the length in question, the resistance will add up. So, for the length of a coil wire, that would be too much resistance. If you measured the resistance at the thickness of the hose its one thing. But over an extended length...

5. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Princeville, IL USA
    That could be. I have no idea how much resistance a car might have in a coil wire yet run somewhat. Interesting topic!

6. wayfast84

wayfast84 Veteran Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Edison, NJ
    While theese are cheap Ideas, I still have to say no car ever is theft proof, that being said, If you really want to protect your investment, why not just spend the extra money on lowjack?

It boggles my mind how, people will spend 4 grand on a paint job, 8 grand on a motor and wont fork out a few hundred bucks for something that will help find your car when stolen.

7. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Princeville, IL USA
    Nothing will make it thief proof, just less attractive or a greater challenge.

Even Lowjack can easily be defeated (put a bullet or drill bit through it) but it's a lot more work and you have to know it's there.

8. camaronate

camaronate Veteran Member

Mar 19, 2006
    bastrop, tx
    View attachment 2498

Why not forget the steering wheel, leave the fuel line intact, and get you a big o nasty dog to ride with you........

nate

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  9. tnmssmonte

tnmssmonte New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Calvert County, MD
    My favorite is hookin up a kill switch to the distributor that runs back to the trunk. A theif is not gonna take the time to open the trunk in the middle of the parkin lot. Its too time consuming. Also, u could put a battery kill switch there also. Or in the ash tray:crazy: