Low $$$ anti-theft ideas

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by lluciano77, Oct 22, 2006.

1. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

I got a 3/8" flare sut off valve today from the plumbing section of the hardware store for $7. The ID necks down at the valve. So, I drilled the ID out to 3/8" by hand all the way through. I had to bevel the inside cuts so that there were no burrs sticking out. You can't clamp the shut off in a vise because it will bend easily. It is made out of brass.

Once I got it together, I use my vacuum/pressure guage to check for leaks. Sure enough it leaked. There is a set screw on the handle of the valve. It has a spring and a washer that puts the tension on the tapered valve to seal it against itself. By adding an extra washer, I was able to increase the spring pressure much like we do on valvesprings. That sealed it to 25 psi. without leaks. The valve is a little tight, but it works.

There is no real good way to support the valve. I used 3/8" aluminum line in the flare fittings because it is so easy to work with. Steel may work better. I am going to support the valve either by the flare nuts, or on the fuel line as close to the flare nuts as possible.

I just put my subframe connectors on. The connectors leave a good path to support your fuel line. I am going to mount the fuel shut off somewhere in there.

My whole theory on this is to have a way to keep people from stealing my Camaro. I have so much time, money, labor, and reasearch into this thing, it would absolutely be devastating to loose it. I have done the electrical cut off before. Thiefs know how to bypass that. Same thing with removing the coil wire or rotor. They will always look for a kill switch. What they hopefully won't be ready for is a fuel shut off. When the crooks go to start the car it will run for a while and then suddenly run out of fuel and die. Then they will think it just runs like crap and hopefully abandon it in the middle of the road.

I also use a chain and discus lock on my hood. I bolted the chain to the hood side latch and left enough slack so that when the hood is closed, I can just barely get the lock on from the bottom of the nose. The hood closes as normal. One end of the chain goes on one side of the hood latch on the nose, and the other on the other side. The lock rests down low where you can't see it without squating down. The chain is pretty good size. It is big enough that the 3/8" hood bolt can bolt through it. You want to take out as much slack as possible to make it hard to get bolt cutters in. This will hopefully keep passers by from stealing my carb, intake, CD box, etc. At least they will have to realy work at it. This is another reason I am hesitant against getting a fiberglass hood. At least the steel hood will protect from theft a little more.

The last thing I use is a lock that goes inbetween the brake pedal and the floor. It is quick and easy, so if I am going anywhere for 20 min. or more I lock it. For you manual trans guys, this works a lot better because you can lock the clutch pedal.

Hope this helps someone. I know how much I have into my car. It may be a pain to lean over and turn on and off the switch, lock the pedal lock, lock the hood, etc. But I would rather do all of that then loose my investment.

2. 1981z28owner

1981z28owner Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2005
    midwest
    i have some valves like that on my fuel line. I use the valves to turn from my stock tank with unleaded gas, and them turn the valves and run leaded racing gas for dragstrip. Then when i go on vacation or something, i turn both off so the car stays put. lol thank god my neighbor hood is pretty good.

3. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    lol... to cheap to put gas in car, good thing tho they dont get far =p

4. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    While you are at it you should rig the gas gauge to read empty. It'll make them less likely to look for a shut off if they think it's actually out of gas.

5. Toomanyhobbys

Toomanyhobbys Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    I have an electrical lock on my firewall from McMaster Carr. Shuts off power to the starter and dizzy

6. flybye70ss

flybye70ss Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Allen, TX
    my idea that i use is rigging the hot ignition lead from the key through the cig lighter.

you have to push the cig lighter in to complete the circut before you start, and when you leave, you can take the lighter as an extra key.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    None of these methods will stop someone with a flatbed truck from winching it onboard and stealing the entire car in less than 2 minutes. :(

8. wyntek1

wyntek1 Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2002
    longview,wa,usa
    Aint that the brutal truth...
    The only thing might slow them down there is if you had linelocks on both front and rear brakes to make it harder to push it out of your driveway and on the truck.

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Go-jacks or wheel dollies make locked wheels move very easily !!:) :) .i used them alot of times while towing and retrieving impounded cars

10. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

True, but it will be more likely to stop a tweaker looking for an easy 8 ball or two. It is like gambling, the better you can improve your odds, the greater the chance that your car won't get stolen.