loud clattering, power loss and poor idle

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 73Camaro383, Nov 3, 2012.

1. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    Ok guys here is my delima. Drove my car out to a car show today. Car ran great the whole way there. The passenger side valves have been a little noisy but I figured since I was going to change the oil after this trip I would check them then. The Engine is a full roller motor. When I pull into the parking lot for the car show I notice my idle got bad. Parked the car and popped the hood. Noticed the pass side valves got more noisy. Had a bunch of guys listen and they figured it was a loose rocker arm. Shut it off and continued with the show. Weather was moving in so it was cut short. Figured I drive it home and inspect it there. On the way back the noise got louder and louder. Pulled over and my buddy got his trailer and we just trailered it the rest of the way. Seems like its coming from the front pass side of the valve cover. Got home and pulled the valve cover and the rocker arm doesnt seem loose enough to cause that much clatter. It basically sounds like a very loose rocker. I havent got any farther. I want some opinions before I remove the intake. I would rather avoid that if at all possible. However I dont think this will be an option.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The first thing I would do is pull the valve cover on the noisy side. A little exploring under there might help you decide what to do next.

3. 73Camaro383

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    I did and It seems ok. I have great oil pressure as well. Could a lifter go flat and cause this?

4. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Header gasket leak?

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Did you physically inspect each rocker,at the pushrod part.I had a pushrod eat thru a rocker once.Same symptoms.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota

Yes, a lifter can go flat, but a lifter flat enough to cause clatter will also be loose when you pull the valve cover. When you check the rockers, turn the engine enough times to assure you have checked them all with the valve at rest so you know for sure they are all tight.

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Broken valve spring?

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    The lifter could be sticking. Drop in a bottle of GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement). It's used for noisy lifters and is a great cam lubricant.

[​IMG]

9. 73Camaro383

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    I tried to wiggle them a bit and they seem fine. I havent turned the engine over yet to see each one move. Springs look good and dont seem broken. I thought about a header leak but would it cause loss of power and a very poor idle? I can barely keep it running in gear. I also noticed it wanted to surge a bit while I was driving it.

10. 73Camaro383

Oct 29, 2010
    texas

Guess that couldnt hurt. Does is sound like anything serious?