Looks like we lost all of M21RSZ28 photo archives!!!

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by TommyRS70, Jul 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Looking further, it seems that this fix does work for most but for M21RSZ28 in particular his account SEEMS to be deleted on PB, so no hope i think there.

His photos are cached on Google for the moment here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=M21...XF44MKHQPbCl4QsAQIJw&biw=1680&bih=960#imgrc=_

You can right click on the photo in the Google cache and go to the NastyZ28 thread, but it won't go to the specific post in the thread that the photo was originally at, so its a bit confusing.

The best we could do is to grab all the photos from the Google cache and then manually sort through them and then send them to MadMike or and admin and tell them this photo goes with this post , that photo goes there etc. There are what appears to be about 300+ photos to do this with. Not sure if MM or and Admin would be up for this?

2. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    Maybe an admin could create a "sticky" thread for his pics in the Original Drivetrain section, and those of us who have his pics can just upload them there..?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I see many of my photos in the cached list.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The same extension is available for Firefox. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it works. But, as fast as someone comes up with a hack for Photobucket pictures, Photobucket can close the hole if they choose.
    The only real fix is to forget about Photobucket and all the other photo hosting sites and handle your photos yourself.
    Remember, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

And, any photos that are lost at this point are our education on how to do things right the next time. Mistakes cost money.

5. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Dave, I clicked on link in your post #61................

I'm technically challenged and dont "get it"

I only hope somebody can save any/all of the M21RSZ28 pics
    and we can argue or figure out what to do with them later !!!!!!!!

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm going to save them all.

7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I could create a sticky with sub-stickies for various categories as suggested. Then folks could post any images they have archived. I see two major pitfalls however:
    1) Gary is correct in saying that digital is temporary. Look at other stickied threads where links have been broken (most notably due to nastyZ server changes) rendering them useless threads.
    2) photos alone are not enough as they lack context and exposition. The useful posts from before were useful because of photos and detailed explanations.

8. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    Very good points Joe. I personally did save some text to go with pics so I'd know what I was looking at. I'm sure I didn't save enough though.

Example...RE:Accelerator Cable

1.PNG
    2.PNG
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

9. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    So do you think I should go ahead and set up the stickie as a photo heavy archive with links to category threads like Body, Engine, Suspension, etc? Should we agree on categories first? I think we need to curate/edit these threads carefully. I would hate to see them turn into question, answer (and opinion) and WTB threads instead of a photo archive with clarification/explanation.

twozs likes this.
  10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Where you been ?