Looking for possible information on 77 Z

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by KWKENUF, Sep 25, 2015.

1. KWKENUF

KWKENUF New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Greetings all. So my dad bought a 77 Z28 around the end of June. Beautiful car! Black on Black, 4 sp., 43k original miles (IIRC). Runs and drives awesome! He couldn't be happier. But...

The engine was "rebuilt". It has headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley carb, cam, blah blah blah. Air cleaner had a 375hp sticker on it. My dads biggest issue is that the guy he bought it from didn't have any of the work done, and knows nothing about it! My dad is curious as to what all has been done to it. What heads? What cam? And before you start saying pull the valve covers for head casting numbers, and get the block casting numbers, and all that stuff, I will tell you if we don't have to disturb the current state of the engine, we don't want to. I am really hoping someone on the board previously owned the car and can tell us about it, or maybe they know someone who did own the car.

My dad bought it from a guy up in Sault St. Marie, MI. That guy bought it from someone in Oregon, Portland I believe, about four or five years ago, through eBay. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone may have any information or contacts we could pursue, please PM me, or email me directly at reveeneman@gmail.com

Here is a picture, it may or may not be a help...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    pull the valve covers for head casting numbers, and get the block casting numbers

3. rhinehart 1977 RS LT

rhinehart 1977 RS LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2005
    Frewsburg, New York, USA
  4. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Block casting date on Pass side rear of block . Should be 77........flashlight

Engine suffix stamped on block pad front of block below pass head .....flashlight

The above .....requires flashlight, and contortion for your body to,see ....maybe a rag if there is grime on the raised casting l

Four small bolts and you can pull the valve cover off .....see the casting number

you might check the FRONT of the heads ......there is a symbol on them that corresponds to certain specs and years .

Al Colvins Chevy by The Numbers book is a great reference to figure out what you have . Buy it for your father for XMas. :D

Nasty site ...go to the 77 info,section ......there is a section with casting numbers for block , heads , intake , carb , etc. I think the head symbols are there too.

You will have no way to determine the cam , crank , pistons , rods , internals .Without engine coming apart.

I would hate buying a car not know all this stuff too.

Your engine was GM blue from the factory . Iron intake and heads . GM HEI ignition system .

Post pics of the engine . Some guys might recognize certain parts and comment.

Great looking car BTW ! Love the 77 s

5. KWKENUF

KWKENUF New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Thought I would revisit this with more info.

Dad finally found and ran the casting numbers. It is a Goodwrench motor, not the original. Edelbrock intake, Holley carb. Still no idea on cam. Compression is probably in the 9.5:1 range, he has to run premium and has iron heads. Even though it would have been nice to have a "numbers matching" engine still, he got such a good deal on this car he really doesn't care. That, and it will be that much easier to talk him into future modifications to it, seeing as how it is not stock.

Dad drove it a lot this summer! Kinda surprised me how much, but at the same time he bought it to drive, not let it sit. He had some clutch work done and replaced some blown header gaskets. Other than that, it has been good to him! I told him if he ever even thinks about selling it, he better let me have first chance at it!

6. rhinehart 1977 RS LT

rhinehart 1977 RS LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2005
    Frewsburg, New York, USA
    put me next in line for it after you:)