Looking at tubular upper control arms, need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Mar 6, 2018.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I'm in that mode right now and assembling stuff for my suspensions and brakes. I already have Hotchkis coils and rear leafs to put on. Larger front and rear sway bars and new disc brake kits.

I was looking at upper control arms because I figure I would benefit from the geometry correction. Car's going to be a street car mostly...so I might not see any real benefits.

I have it narrowed down to two control arms..Hotchkis and PTFB

My concerns:

From a price point I like the PTFB better but I am concerned about a back-order and waiting months for the part. I sent a email yesterday morning asking about current stock and how soon these would ship...no reply yet.

But after reading some older threads and the information above his move on his website and possible delays that has me concerned and one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The Hotchkis arms are about $275 more on Summit but they are in stock and no wait. If I ordered them today I would have them before the weekend.

And the Hotchkis appealed to me since I already have their springs.

And I have read good and bad things about both controls arms while searching older posts...so I guess now it comes down to price versus availability and how soon I need it.

I'm not in a super hurry...but I def need it in a few weeks when I am off for spring break..that's when I plan to install everything.

Any experiences on either you care to share would be awesome
  2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Have you thought about SPC adjustable uppers? They are comparatively priced to the PTFB ones and would ship quickly. While I have no real driving time on mine yet, I do think they are a nice part.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
  4. Schubitzky

Schubitzky Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2003
    I have Global West uppers with Del-a-lum bushings and stock lowers with del-a-lum bushings that will be for sale by the end of the month. They are used, but nothing wrong with them. PM me if you're interested in them.

*edit: these arms are from my '81. sorry for the oversight.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  5. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    PM sent
  6. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Those look interesting, I kind of wanted to stay with solid uppers...I think the adjustability is cool though
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Any of the above are good, also UMI.
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Personally, don't focus on the price...I'm guilty of that but always regret it later! Don't buy PTFB...Don't buy SPC...I would stick with Speed Tech/Global West/Hotchkis/Detroit Speed. I just like a solid large diameter tube control arms with Delrin and professionally TIG welded.
  9. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    That's kind of what I am thinking, I figure I just want to do this one time and not keep buying stuff
  10. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    BMR Suspension Arms were redesigned using my car as the Test Mule