Looking at some new shoes

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Ready to ditch my old 17" cragar knock-offs with 245/45/17 tires for some 18" wheels and some staggered tires. I am going to mail order the wheels and tires since they will mount and balance for free before shipping. All I have to do is put them on.

Any suggestions or tips? Something I might be missing?

My goal is a stance like this:

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tech-info/wheel-configurator/#!year=1971&make=47&model=432&submodel=20&size=18 Inch Wheels&go=1&body=0&tab=gals&page=1&color=8450&wheel=9092&wheelimage=35426&brand=43

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels I am looking at:

Black Ridler 650 wheels

18x8 for the front with 4.5" BS

18x9.5 for the rear with 5.25" BS

https://www.performanceplustire.com...50-matte-black-rim-with-polished-lip/ws:18x8/

https://www.performanceplustire.com...-matte-black-rim-with-polished-lip/ws:18x9-5/

Tires I am looking at are:

225/35-18 for the front

Diameter: 24.2"
    Width: 8.9"
    Sidewall: 3.1"

265/35-18 for the rear

Diameter: 25.3"
    Width: 10.4"
    Sidewall: 3.7"

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/nankang-tires/ns-20/ty:Tire:ts:22535-18/

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/nankang-tires/ns-20/ty:Tire:ts:265-35-18/

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Those will look good on your car Dennis

3. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Thanks, I have been putting a lot of thought and research in this, so hopefully it will turn out the way I want it.

Plans are doing hotchkis springs in the front and back too.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Why such a short and narrow front tire?

5. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    The 245/45/17 I have on the car now is an inch taller and is about an inch wider and sticks out some. And these tires are close to stock height

I was wanting a shorter tire, and these are an inch shorter and narrower, figure it would be a better fit

6. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    That's definitely an awesome stance to shoot for but may I ask what is driving the tire choice?? Price? Or do these tires perform abnormally well considering the inexpensive cost? I don't know much about them other than speculation, but a nice stance, wide tires and suspension bits won't be as fun if the tires grip just a little better than wood.

Unless I am wrong and these tires are excellent high performance tires for the $$, I'd scour the net, maybe finding a closeout of last years high performance offering for not a ton more. You may have to deal with a shop mounting and balancing but in the end, if you like to drive the way that car looks, I think you'll find its money well spent.

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Nankang Noble Sport NS-20 Tire Review & Rating
    The Nankang Noble Sport NS-20 features all-season performance and an H or V-speed rating for drivers of sport coupes and sedans. Nankang has utilized the latest in tire technology to give this model a smoother ride, while also maintaining high speed stability.

The all-season tread compound is M+S rated for increased traction and handling in all weather conditions. The tire’s dry tread zone is built for added grip and cornering on dry road surfaces. At the same time, a continuous center rib increases steering response and adds more stability throughout the speed range, which is a big plus on this particular tire.

[​IMG]

Nankang’s wet zone on this model features four circumferential grooves and a unique tread block siping design which enhance wet road surface grip and handling. It also reduces the risk of hydroplaning and increases driving confidence behind the wheel, something that has been noted by many drivers in reviews of this tire.

Inside the tire you will find steel belted construction for added strength and durability, while also providing more even treadwear. Nankang offers a wide variety of 15-22 inch sizes, and it comes with either an H, V, W or Y-speed rating. A 30K or 40K mile tread warranty is also part of the package.

Pros

• Dry and wet traction is good
    • Tire rides comfortably
    • Steering response
    • Low price
    Cons

• Cornering performance could be improved
    • Would like to see better treadlife
    Overall Thoughts

The NS-20 is a tire that has some good things going for it, but it also has areas that could be improved upon. First off is the lower price. It works well for anyone on a tighter budget. Beyond the cheaper cost is the fact that this tire also delivers some nice performance as well. Dry and wet traction is predictable and solid. Steering is responsive and provides you with a good feel for the most part.

Cornering stability is good, although we would like to see a bit more grip at the limits. More spirited drivers may find the sidewalls a bit soft, which makes for a little more understeer. Other top models like the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, Yokohama YK580 and Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Plus among others all provide much better cornering performance. That said, you’ll have to pay more than you will on this model.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Ok, I understand. but sticking out is the wheel not the tire. I just think you might find that one too small for the wheel well. Just thinking out loud. stock tires are not that short. 235/60/15 is like 26" or so. later years 225/70/15 area like 27"

9. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Cost is the biggest factor as I would like to keep tires and wheels under a grand. I could spend more but the tires wouldn't see much road time anyways. The Falken 17" tires I have on the car now are the newest looking 8 year old tires you have ever seen...lots of tread left.

I think they would be fine for my needs

10. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    what happened to the link with review on the tires?? I was reading it lol