Looking at carburetors for my 383..... suggestions?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by bucco47, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA

So - what did you end up doing?

2. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Sorry. I ordered jets/rods (one step lean from stock calibration) and correct dual plane heat gasket and will see if that helps (should do that this weekend). Considering fuel press regulator since Eddy's are apparently temperamental about that. I have friends pulling me in different directions too. In an age of instant gratification, I am still O.K. with trial and error. I will update this post as I go....
    Thank you all again :)

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I went with the clockable Eddy mechanical fuel pump...No regulator needed.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    What fuel pump do you have now? You're correct, Eddy carburetors don't like much over 5 psi. A lot of people use those small Holley regulators with no problems, but like Coadster, with the correct pump, you shouldn't need a regulator.

5. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    OK, I went down 2 stages lean and got detonation. Don't have the jet or rods for going 1 stage lean to check. Floats were a little off, like 1/16". Adjusted floats, cleaned everything while apart, put stock jets/rods back in. Replaced base gasket with correct dual plane Eddy heat spacer for this setup per Edelbrock. Runs maybe a tad better then before. Problem may be the vacuum. I am only pulling 9-10 at idle (guessing that's the cam causing that). Sprayed carb cleaner around base and lid gasket to check for vacuum leaks... idle remained the same. Oh, and the other thing that happens is after it's at operating temp, the idle creeps up to 1,500 from the cold 850 setting and it wont adjust any lower at that point. It's not the choke either, checked that.
    As for the fuel pump..... I have a stock replacement Napa pump. I will put a fuel press gauge on it and see what's going on there (don't have one yet).
    I have a Holley 4160 (80508SA) marinating in my Amazon cart if it comes to that.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    What do you have for timing in that engine? base and total without vac advance.

7. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Good question...... I don't recall. I'll check tomorrow.... she's put to bed

Thank you

8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Just throwing this out there...just make sure the carb isn't still set on the hi-idle cam is the rpms are creeping. It was a combination of timing, vacuum, and carb adjustments that help with my 383. It made a big difference switching to manifold vacum from ported, (a whole seperarate issue to read up on). I tuned my 1406 carb with a wideband sensor. It's not uncommon to change the metering rods along with the jets when doing these carbs. It's still more cost effective than purchasing a new carb, and you get to learn something as you go as well. If you get your carb right, and then do you timing, you'll most likely be doing it all over again.

9. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    OK, Timing is right on at 12 (idle, no vac adv) and 35 at 3,000.
    I adjusted the fast idle cam (forgot all about that adjustment...... thanks Coadster32) It was a little high, I'll see if that cures the high idle issue.

So, the lower vacuum port is the manifold vacuum, right? If I run the vac adv off that instead, do I just tee in the vacuum line to the tranny since it is hooked to that now, or do I move the tranny line to the ported vac port? Only read like 1/2" difference between the 2 ports (10" vs 10.5")

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    A port below the throttle blades if full vacuum. I'd rev up that initial some more.