Looking at carburetors for my 383..... suggestions?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by bucco47, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    Pro Systems is overkill for a street driven, mild motor that will never see the track, IMHO. The Holley I recommended back on page 1 is also 1/2 the price of the Pro $ystems carb.

2. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you.
    I am considering all options presented with respect to everyone taking the time to offer advice :)

In the short term, I am going to follow Cardinal's advice and see if I can find anything correctable.

I appreciate everyone's input :)

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    It is always interesting with the amount of different carbs on the market these days. Last year my son bought a new 750 Quick Fuel Slayer carb, Hot Rod said it was one of the best in their tests on 750 carbs they tested. We put that 750 on his 409 and it was the worst carb out of the box I have ever used. The 750 ran pig rich, the transfer slots were exposed out of the box over .080 for an idle of 750 rpm. I called Quick Fuel and it was like talking to a brick wall for help. I have rebuilt carbs for over 30 years, this one was a surprise for a new carb. You know what carb ran the best? a 1405 Edelbrock carb. Fuel curve was right, good fuel mileage and idle was dead on after checking everything, Yes, I did set the floats too. I have had good luck with Demons and Holley's as well. Some of the worst Holley's I have played with are the street avengers, lot's o little problems with those carbs as well. On your engine I would try one of the new Holley Brawler carbs they look pretty nice.

bucco47 likes this.
  4. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you!

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    You're Welcome.

6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a Holley 670 Avenger with electric choke/vacuum secondaries with less than 1,000 miles on it, probably closer to 500. I have a bunch of stuff like cams, power valves, jets etc. It was on my 383 and supported a Dyno proven 450 hp and 460 ft/lbs. My engine builder said a 750 was overkill and just used more fuel.

I switched to the Sniper EFI that is why I am selling it. Make me an offer. It is basically boxed and ready to go.

7. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I like the pro-form carbs I've used plenty and they all worked well. when I pull one out of the box I check accelerator linkage adjustments, flip it over look at secondary and primary opening at idle before I ever bolt it on, sometimes I go ahead and swap out the power valve if I know I need a different one. Unless your gonna spend the money for Pro-Systems your buying a carb that optimized for the "average" hot rod and it will require some tuning and maybe parts replacement jets, PV ect.....to work on your specific motor.

$ Mike 70 Z-28 likes this.
  8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I have an Eddy 600cfm carb on my 383 street driven 79 Camaro. Some will say it's too small, but all the numbers calculate out to 6500 before you have any problems. That's good enough for me. I was recommend a smaller carb for better street manners as well, and certainly vacumm secondaries. I adjusted the floats, played with the idle screws, checked the choke, and ran it for a few years without any problem. (All things you should do with any new carb anyhow). Just this last year, I bought a jet kit and messed with it using a wideband sensor, and played with ported/manifold vacumm as well. I did make some changes, and the car responded pretty well to them. (All charted data to see where you came from/go to). To adress my heat soaking issue, I have installed two 1/2" phenolic carb spacers on top of my Air Gap intake. That helped a little. I then rerouted and heat tubed the fuel fine. They were very close to the headers, and that seemed to help out alot. These carbs are so darn easy to work on, I'd buy another one. Good Luck to you.

9. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    I would contact AED and have a carb built to your needs .
    I’m very happy with mine

10. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Frostbite Falls MN