Looking at carburetors for my 383..... suggestions?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by bucco47, Feb 26, 2018.

1. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    thanks, I'll consider that. You think this is a streetable carb for my application? I don't take it to the track.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Are you trying to get by on the cheap? A lot of members here sell carburetors from time to time. If you're not in a rush, just watch the Swap Meet section.

3. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    No, I don't mind spending money for my best option, I just don't know what that best option is :) Again, it's a street driven car. Heard a lot of good things about the 4160s and would feel more comfortable with a new one since I would "know" what I am starting with.
    Thank you

4. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    One of the problems I am having is (I think) heat soaking the bowls after shutting down. If it's a hot day and I start up after sitting for 30 minutes it acts as though it's flooded and once started, falls on it's face accelerating until it clears out down the road. I have repeatedly checked the float adjustments and they are correct. Does the Holley design with he bowls hanging from the sides lend itself to less heat soak then the Eddy/Carter design?

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, THEE #1 problem with Edelbrock carbs is that the float drop and height are NOT set properly at the factory! Go to the Edelbrock website, get the specs (and how to set them), and then set them.

Edelbrock/Carter carburetors HATE low intake vacuum at idle. Put a vacuum gauge on the intake and it has to read at least 15" of vacuum at idle.

#2 What intake are you running? We have a Wieand Action P+ intake on my son's 83 S10 with a 350 SBC in it. From day one, it was a female dog to start, ran like crap, and awful MPG! Eventually, we got to work all day on it. We found the following:

1. float height and drop were WRONG! Set them, truck ran better but still not running 100% like it did with a Q-Jet on it.

2. Pulled the carb to put a 1/2" spacer in it (thinking that it might help) only to find the intake to carb gasket had a minor leak on both sides of the carb due to intake being a "universal fit" = it was wide in the back half of the intake port = Q-Jet size. Since the 1406 is a "square bore" there was a miss match between the carb and intake. I made a "goof plate" (gasket + plate + gasket), installed it, engine calmed right down and it ran like a raped ape in a banana factory! Vacuum leaks can be found by CAREFULLY spraying starting fluid around the intake and carb with the engine running. When sprayed on a leak the RPM's will pick up! OBTW, Summit and Jegs sell a "goof plate with two gaskets" set!

3. Next day, it was still hard to start when cold. Spent a lot of time setting the electric choke which now still works after many years of operation.

4. Setting idle mixture screws: Once all of the other problems have been addressed, setting idle mixture screws requires a LOT of patience and time. Engine has to be warmed up and choke off. Initial setting is from 1.5 to 2 turns out on both of them. SLOWLY turn one screw in and listen (or read a tach meter) for the engine to slow down (rpms drop). Slowly open that one back up till the rpms pick up slightly. Now adjust the other idle mixture screw in until the rpms drop them run it back until the rpms barely pick back up. Keep doing this to both screws

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Pro Systems custom specs every carb they make, so yes, they can absolutely do you a street carb.

Advise above about setting up the Edelbrock is solid

bucco47 likes this.
  7. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you Cardinal.

- I have adjusted the float to Edelbrock specs (it was wrong the first time I checked it a few years ago but it has been correct every time I have checked it since)
    - I will check the vacuum at idle. That may be part of the problem with the cam I am running. I have a vacuum pump for the brake booster as a precaution. I used the Edelbrock recommended gasket (Edelbrock #7201)
    - I am running the Performer RPM intake (square bore/dual plane)
    - So you say Eddys hate low vacuum at idle..... are Holleys more forgiving of low vacuum?

Thank you for the advice!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  8. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you

9. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL