Long Shot - looking to buy Original Radiator ( or XY tank ) for 1970 396 4-Speed

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Smokin'Joe, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Well, I know this is a long shot, but I'll never know if I don't ask. - and after reading about Double J's success with those fancy clips he needed, I figured it can't hurt to post the request.

I have found just about everything I've needed to put my car back to original, however, the last thing on my check list is an original 4-speed radiator for a bigblock. - In researching thru these posts, it appears it should have an XY on the passenger side tank - Any condition would be fine, even if it's just the XY tank by itself. ( It's possible the radiator might have an LM tag on it)

If anyone might happen to still have one in their car, I'm sure I could offer enough to cover a nice aluminum unit as well as some electric fans and a few other goodies.

If anyone has a "secret radiator stash" or one hiding in the back of the garage, or something they are saving for a future project, I would love to have on opportunity to give it a good home where it will be greatly appreciated.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks to all -

Joe

-

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. owners2

owners2 Veteran Member

Sep 22, 2005
    fountain inn ,s.c.29644
    Try Joey Gray. He has a restoration shop that only restores 70-73 camaro's & he seems to have our can get whatever u need. Shop # is 336-764-8856 & his cell is 336-403-1325. He's a great guy. Good luck.

3. Kregb

Kregb Veteran Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Erie, CO
    You must search better than I do I spent about an hour trying to find the correct code for my 1970 L34 with no luck. Can you post a link to the information you found?

4. Smokin'Joe

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Hey Owners, Thanks for the tip. I actually just got an exhaust system from Joey and while I was on the line with him I let him know I was looking for a radiator, but he was not able to help out with that request.

Kregb, - I'm not sure which thread the info was in, but I know I searched dozens of times before stumbling on them and believe it was here on the board somewhere. - I've got some notes at work and will see if I can find any of the links this weekend.

Thanks...., more hints, tips and comments are appreciated.

Joe

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
  6. Ed Carlson

Ed Carlson Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2004
    amarillo TX
    good luck I'v been looking for three years. ed

7. Smokin'Joe

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Well Kregb, looks like COPO found a good link. Not sure that was the one I was thinking about, but it covers the data just as well.

Ed, yeah, I know I've been looking at least that long and have found just about every other combination of tanks, just not the XY.

Alas, I do have a Holley 4557 that I can offer up for trade. - 2 dates to choose from, one 012 date the other 983 - the 983 is in decent shape, the 012 needs to be restored.

Thanks again to all -

8. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Asking for application of AJ Harrison Tank,Code ????

9. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Here from back in '08: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1204218&postcount=13

Search is your friend (especially when COPO makes it so easy ;) )

You know, of course, that this helps Smokey34 naught as he is looking for a MT radiator

10. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    I can't say i've really looked hard but I have NEVER seen a 'XY' radiator for sale! So good luck! The XY was only used on the 1970 big block 4-speed cars. I'm not sure about the tank code for 1971 big block cars.

It seems like most brass radiators have all been recycled over the years.