License Plate Security

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by SMCZ28, Oct 16, 2017.

1. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2010
    United States
    Hello all,

Today my mother noticed that her license plate was stolen so i was wondering what any of you might have for screws/bolts/plates or etc that you might use to keep your plates safe on your vehicle. She just got the plate in April of this year and will have to buy a new one which is very annoying and I want to try and make sure it doesn't happen again, either it being her car, my car, my girlfriends car, etc.

Thanks,

2. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2010
    United States
    I was kind of looking for something that wasn't... "normal" Something actually ingenuitive. I have a kit that can take every single last one of those "security" screws off as if I were using a phillips/flathead screwdriver and I obviously wouldn't want to use a one way screw even though that seems like the toughest choice so far.

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Razor blades strategically placed and jb welded to the back side of the lic plate bracket /holder . The moment the thug that wants your moms plate he'll think twice after he's in the ER getting his fingers stitched up

I did somewhat the same thing to my old CJ5 Jeep . I kept getting my stereo stolen so I JB welded numerous razor blades to the back of the stereo . a few weeks later I walked out to my jeep and saw blood all over the floor and dashboard and stereo was still there . So I took that as a good sign my security measure worked fine

FlaJunkie and Zstar like this.
  4. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    I BORROWED some spanner screws from work, it has two holes in the head, we used them at the Auto Show to keep the plates from walking away.

5. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2010
    United States
    Well i can't really do the razor blade one but good story. lol

I guess the spanner pan screw is less common than the torx and hex heads, but I have a feeling they wont be that hard to remove either... or they might be hard remove. I have it in my kit of bits but never ran across one.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Deer Park, TX
    There is no real security. If someone really wants it they will take it.

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Put it in the back window?

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Around here, a plate in the back window gets you a citation for "improper display of plate". Put it on the car where the law requires and take your chances. If you have a lot of plate theft where you live, it is time to move to a safer place.