Level chassis- uneven wheel well clearance

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Jeep43, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Good info and I Agree, but unlike you I don't know the history of these springs. For all I know one leaf is cracked but hidden by the perch assembly. New leafs were on the to-do list anyway so I'll see if new corrects them, then tweak accordingly.

2. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Dickson TN.
    you realize you are within factory variance

3. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Probably, and it's probably no big deal with a car riding at factory height with factory size tires but as you well know lowered with wider wheels, 3/4 seems like a mile.

4. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Dickson TN.
    I do understand, unfortunately 50 year ago when these cars were designed what we do to them now was not on the designer's minds so we have to figure out how to even it out or deal with it.

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    And I think have it figured out. Turns out I had a couple issues at play both adding up. At first I decided to install a slightly thicker coil spacer on the low side. .200 thicker should have raised that side double the amount, but it didn't. I eventually noticed the sway bar (1 1/4 ws6 bar) links weren't timing off equally. With the std spacer stack installed on the driver's side there was a lot of slop on the pass (low) side. So when I tightened that link I was preloading the arm in the compressed direction.

I ended up verifying level with the bar disconnected and put it on ramps and shimmed the loose link with washers until both links were slop free.

I guess I was looking for a single smoking gun and while each of these issues were probably within 1974 tolerance they happened to both stack up in the same direction. Had they been opposite they might have canceled each other out.

Coadster32 likes this.
  6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Interesting...didn't think about the sway bar preload.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I’m finding this out working on my 70. They indeed were not assembled perfectly...I seem to forget my car was assembled 48 years ago. I’m trying to install a DSE roll bar and it seems the floor was welded to the rocker slightly lower than it’s supposed to be on the driver side. It’s affecting the fitment of the doubler bracket.

8. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    I'm having this same problem. Drivers side is a full inch lower than passenger. I just changed everything suspension and shocks, swaybar, tires,had front aligned. After reading this I think I'm going to try some of the things you tryed and see if I can find the culprit