Let's talk air tools

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    So I want to get some air tools but not exactly sure what to get. Obviously the more, the better, but right now I am interested in seeing which tools you guys find yourselves using the most. I am thinking a grinder, a ratchet, an impact wrench and a chisel (not in that order necessarily). Probably more importantly is WHAT BRANDS should I consider? Are there better brands for different tools (like with power tools)? Or do several companies do a good job of making good air tools across the board?

When it comes to tools I tend to just get it over with and shell out a little more money for better tools, so I am open to whatever ideas you have. I would like to check out CL or eBay and see if I can get some used stuff a little cheaper too.

2. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I love my air ratchet! That and an angle grinder are top on the list. I use my 1/2" drive impact to rotate the wifes tires just last week, makes the job go a lot faster!

3. a550550

a550550 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2008
    minnesota
    I have virtually every air tool that I have accumulated in the last 30 years

I use the impact constantly

the cutoff a lot

90 degree grinder a lot

3/8 ratchet

Air Chisel

DA Sander

Unless you are a mechanic, buy cheap and throw away when broke--you;ll probably never wear them out--except for the impact--the good ones (Snapon-mac) have a lot more power than the cheapies

4. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    So what are the different types of grinders? By angle grinder you mean a 90 degree angle, right? Or do they come in different angles relative to the body of the tool?

5. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Man, I have such a hard time buying throw away tools, but maybe air tools are a different story. But it's not like I am just itching to spend more money :D

6. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Lake Jackson Tx
    Tools I use daily:
    Snap-on 3/8 air ratchet
    Ingersol Rand 1/2 impact
    Cheap (can't remember brand) angle grinder, use with roloc discs to clean mating surfaces.
    Air chucks, blowers, etc.

I've got a backup Blue-point 3/8 ratchet, and I'm shopping for a 1/4 ratchet, probably end up with Matco or Aircat.

Don't cheap out on impacts, and get at least one good name brand ratchet.

7. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Ratchet and cutoff are two that everyone must have I my opinion. All of my air tools are Husky.
    I love them they ain't over priced and they work great.

I've had my husky cutoff for 3 years now and use it a lot. Used it today to cut 2 bolts of that was holding rear bumper on. And its never gave me trouble.

8. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
  9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

76 Type LT,

I got an air chisel and a 1/2 Impact and possibly a 3/8" air ratchet we took out of our old race box I'll sell you super cheap!

E-mail me to discuss!

10. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks man, sent ya a PM :cool: