Lets see your vintage 2nd gen racing pics.

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Rich Schmidt, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I was combing thru my photobucket account and figured I would share some cool old pics with you guys. Most of these were stolen from vareious internet sites over the years,and I have no way to credit most of them. I have collected a ton of pics of 2nd gen drag cars from the 70's. Of course my soft spot is old school door cars in pro stock,modified production and gasser classes. Since this board is about the preservation and modification of REAL 2nd gen Camaros(and some Firebirds) I figured it would be cool to start a tread where people could contribute old pics that they have of real steel 2nd gens. Everybody has pics of floppers,and 1st gens and all that,so I figured lets make this about real born on the assembly line 2nd gen Camaros and Firebirds that were raced in the 70's and 80's. Road race cars and any other types of real steel are welcome too. It isnt my rules,just what I was hoping we could put together. Maybe somebody could sticky it for a while. Here goes.

Camaro pro stocker from early 70's

[​IMG]

Another car from the same period.

[​IMG]

Richie Zul working under the hood of Grumpy's 70 Camaro after he bught it from Da Grump. I got this one directly from Dennis Ferrara

[​IMG]

Dick Harrell's pro stocker.

[​IMG]

The same car after it was sold to Butch Leal.

As a side note,so far my research has shown that this IS NOT the Harrell car that was sold to Brooklyn Heavy that Heavy raced as a prostocker. My findings were that Heavy bought an orange with black V-top Harrell 454 car and made it into his own pro stocker.

[​IMG]

More to come.

2. ZZTOP

ZZTOP Veteran Member

Apr 14, 2007
    ky
  3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

this pic is awesome as it shows the rosin on the track surface !!:)

[​IMG]

4. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Wally Booth's Rat Pack car.

[​IMG]

Dave Strickler's car. This car was confirmed as NOT being the Grumpy's Toy #7 show car. It had an interesting rear suspention that used Mopar superstock springs and upper control arms that made it into a sort of 4 link.

[​IMG]

Grumpy's 70 after Richie Zul sold it to Dennis Ferrara. Dennis raced the car with no side windows as a Modified eliminator car and had the most sucess out of any racer who owned this car.

[​IMG]

Another orange General Lee.

[​IMG]

70's racer

[​IMG]

More to come.

5. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Another

[​IMG]

More

[​IMG]

2 more "new" pro stockers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gasser?

[​IMG]

6. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    When Zul 1st made Grump's old car into a 74

[​IMG]

Then he painted it red white and blue.

[​IMG]

Then something happened to the nose.

[​IMG]

Joe Satmary's car. I couldnt tell you if this car was the body of the original 70. Also,after selling the Jenkin's car to Ferrara in 1977 ,Richie Zul bought a car from Joe Satmary which is the car Zul beat Bob Glidden with. It was said to have been an outdated car when he bought it in 1978,so maybe it was related to this car.

[​IMG]

Zul with the Grump's 70 after it was back halfed Same basic configuraion as in the 1st photos of this tread.

[​IMG]

Not old,but this is what's left of the car that Richie Zul bought off Joe Satmary. The owner bought it in the early 80's off the guy that Zul sold it to. For a long time this was mistaken to be the remains of the Grump's 70 but after much confusion the record was set straight.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    A small pic of the interior of the Grump's 70 while Zul owned it in about 1973. Note the SRD roll cage. The A pillar bars dont go all the way to the floor,they mount on top of the door bar which actually is mounted to the floor where the rear front subframe brace is,and it extends to the firewall,then back down to the front subframe.

I purchased a 1970 Camaro a few years back that was a supposed SRD car and it was built exactly line this one. Both cars also have the same steering wheel and fiberglass dash. It may have been Strickler's old car,but that car was supposedly made into a pro street car. I will post pics of the SRD car that I came across later.

[​IMG]

Dennis Ferrara's 70 Camaro acid dipped modified production car

[​IMG]

Another pic. Dennis owned 2 Motion sponsored 2nd gens and the Grump's 70. One of the Motion cars started out as the red ribbon car,and was modified into one of these 2 cars. Which one I dont know.

[​IMG]

Dennis standing in front of the old Grumpy's Toy/Zul 70 Camaro after it had the 74 bodywork added the tube chassis put under it and all the structural metal cut out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car eventually had lightweight doors added and no side windows at all.

[​IMG]

Every pic on this page was sent to me my Dennis Ferrara.

8. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Grumpy's 70 when he leased it to Bruce Larson. It looks to have the SRD cage in it here.

[​IMG]

O.K.,not a old one. Here is an interior shot of the 1970 Camaro ex prostocker that I won the Ebay auction on. It was supposedly built by SRD. Notice how the A pillar bars dont go all the way to the floor. It also has a fiberglass dash and defiantly some similarities to the Jenkins car. The chassis on this car was basically unchanged since 1973,only the body was updated to a 79.

[​IMG]

Notice the SRD sticker on the sail panel.

[​IMG]

A virtual time capsule into how they built them back then.

[​IMG]

All covered interior and headliner as per NHRA prostock rules of the day.

[​IMG]

Firewall set back,upper control arms cut and modified for more caster,dual master cylinders for the lightweight brakes.

[​IMG]

Cut out engine cradle and rack and pinion.

[​IMG]

79 bumper with 70 back glass. This was a real 70 with VIN tag and matching hidden VIN by the heater opening.

[​IMG]

9. scrapmetal

scrapmetal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Cleburne,Texas
  10. bitchin'71SS

bitchin'71SS Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Poughkeepsie, NY