Lets play "What the Hell is that noise?"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 70Znut, Oct 30, 2017.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Found a video I made with Brian on my noise...

2. 70Znut

70Znut Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    That sounds exactly like my noise, I will check mine for the same play.
    Looks like the spider gears in the posi may be our problem, time for a closer internal inspection.
    Thanks for the video!

3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Sure! The pin on my pumpkin got the crap beat out of it by someone who didn't know it was held in with a bolt. I am wondering if this is my vibration source as well.

4. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    Are you sure the shocks are mounted correctly? It looked upside down (stud should be on the bottom at the leaf spring). It also looked like the right sway bar bracket was tapping the rear axle housing.

5. vwtanner

vwtanner Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    From watching the videos it seems to me that the noise is sespesion components not gears inside the diff. Because I hear the rattle when the car is just rolling and hitting bumps. (But it's tough to tell from a video) Do you hear noise when you are just coasting over a bumpy stretch Of road?
    Also the (Brian) video you posted with the noise coming from the diff seems like ring to pinion gear backlash sound. I've had that problem but it's easily heard when you are on and off the gas pedal it produces a clunk each time.
    It does seem like a lot of axle movement (seems like too much to me) it could be driveshaft angle if the cars been lowered like you say, causing the u joints to bind, that could also explain the axle "shutter"( that appears like wheel hop )
    This is seen in some of the videos

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  6. 70Znut

70Znut Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    Don't hear over bumpy stretch of road unless the bumps are like speed bump sized. I can make a clunk sound getting on-off the gas just cruising on flat road like Brian's vid.
    I've decided to do away with clutch posi and replace it with a Detroit Truetrac differential, which should produce better results for road racing and autocross. I'll go ahead and replace the driveshaft as well and get the pinion angle corrected from lowering the car.

Thanks everybody for your input and suggestions.
    I'll report back when I'm done and let you know if the noise went away or what I discovered, otherwise I'm going to have to get medieval on this car.