Lets play "What the Hell is that noise?"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 70Znut, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Think i found it "maybe" was watching the video in fullscreen mode and i can see the shock plate separating from the leaf spring.

2017_10_31_10_31_07_Lets_play_What_the_Hell_is_that_noise_NastyZ28.jpg 2017_10_31_10_33_13_Lets_play_What_the_Hell_is_that_noise_NastyZ28.jpg

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Are your rubber body mounts good?

3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    ..and since editing is effed up on this website, I need to add "Do you have discs on the back or standard?"

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Hard to tell from the vids, some still pics of your setup would help too. Have you checked the spring perches on the axle to make sure the welds are still good? Also might be worth checking to see if the centering pin in the perch is there and still round, also if it is allowing fore/aft movement. I agree with others about checking the pinion angle, also check to make sure driveshaft length is correct.

6. 70Znut

70Znut Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    Frame
    Shackle mounts are solid, checked for loose bolts and added video of shackle.
    shackle right (1).jpg shackle right (2).jpg

7. 70Znut

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    Had stock drums but upgraded to rear disc when I installed the new Strange axles and bearings.
    Unfortunately noise was there before and after the change. :whine:

8. 70Znut

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    I watched the video again and I thought you were on to something...but...what your seeing in the video is actually where I disconnected the upper sway bar arm from the sway bar to isolate the bar from the body. it just happens the bottom of the mount is perfectly lined up in the video to the shock plate. What are the chances of that!
    But a great observation on your part!

9. 70Znut

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    All solid interlocking body mounts. I rechecked the torque to 75lbs.
    Thanks... IMG_20160521_114413777.jpg

10. 70Znut

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    Perch welds checked and all welds are good.
    Perch centering pins are intact and I have Custom Works Comp Axle Pad/Locators installed to prevent for/aft movement.

General consensus is that I need to check pinion angle. I have a new drive shaft on order and will check and correct pinion angle at that time. Since the car had been lowered 1.5"-2" I'm certain the pinion angle is out of spec.

I am not convinced the rattle/clank is pinion related as I can find no physical evidence or witness marks of any contact anywhere but then again I ain't the sharpest pencil in the drawer, that's why I'm here...:brightide

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions so far.
    Any other ideas?