Lets play "What the Hell is that noise?"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 70Znut, Oct 30, 2017.

1. 70Znut

70Znut Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    I have been chasing a rattle in the rear of my 70 for over a year. Changed springs, shackles, drum to disc conversion, sway bar, shocks, gas tank, axles, C-clips & bearings, exhaust. I used wood blocks to wedge the exhaust system and I removed the way bar and it's still there.
    I only hear it over bumps or taking off in a low gear it will chatter.
    I used my GoPro to record it at various angles and conditions and put them up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm...s?flow=grid&view=0&view_as=subscriber&sort=da

I suspect it may be inside the axle but visual inspections show no abnormal wear or evidence.
    I am open to any suggestions or maybe someone can recommend a good exorcist...
    Thanks...Jeff

2. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    Is it possible you have truck gears in a car housing ?

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Rear diff seems to have a bit of movement to it how are your front spring perches and bushings?

4. 70Znut

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    Decoded the axle and gears and are original to this car.
    DSC01467.JPG DSC01470.JPG

5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    looks like sway bar is hitting the brake line to me

6. 70Znut

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    I thought the movement was a bit much as well but I cant find any other similar videos to compare them with.
    Springs, bushings and shackles are all new 2G stuff from Keith at custom works, perch J-nuts and bolts are all new and it had this noise even before I changed out all the rear suspension.:confused:

7. 70Znut

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    No witness marks found on the brake lines, I even removed the sway bar at one point just to be sure and the noise was still there..
    Thanks for looking.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Think this shot shows it best. Sure looks like the rear spring has a lot of movement how is the frame where the shackles mount to it?

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    With the leaf spring set-up, it looks like the diff housing is wrapping up pretty good, but I've seen worse. This is the reason why people use a traction devise with a leaf spring.They can wheel hop so bad it'll jar your teeth. Looking at the pinion yoke and the driveshaft, are you sure the U joints are good? Maybe drive shaft hitting something form the springs wrapping up so much? Probably sounds crazy, but I chased stuff like this on a leaf spring truck I lowered.

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Makes a good point without knowing much about the car wondering if the pinion angle or drive line angle is the culprit.