Legendary Gene Winfield lesson in the lost art of leading

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Bandit723, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Video is a bit long but has some good takeaways on the process of leading a panel.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    What a brave guy to do that work with just a fan....No thanks lol

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Gene Winfield is one of the masters of leading body panels my understanding he has never really used any safety equipment yikes. He does recommend a respirator "apparently does not take his own advice" I know i would be taking more precautions myself.

carr911 likes this.
  4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Excellent video.

5. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Gene is the Master!

6. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    SF East Bay CA
    He's 90 years old! He's doing something right.

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Lead is no where near as toxic as you think. It has caused health problems but aside from children you need to have A LOT of exposure.I work on 70+ year old telephone cables every day and they are sheathed in lead and my job is to fix cracks and corrosion is the lead. I do it in manholes which are a very enclosed environment and it is a very precise process so I cant wear gloves. I was tested a few by my own doctor and not associated with the company times and had zero in my blood. I have been doing it for every day for over 20 years. Kids eating lead paint chips is bad. People breathing lead dust (oxidized lead not just small grinding of clean lead) is a health risk. Skin exposure and moderate amount of breathing dust has zero health effect. Half the water pipes in this country are still lead even if you live in a new development the pipes coming from the main source are probably lead and lead is in the water. People centuries ago actually ate lead pills as vitamins and if they ate them for enough years they would get poisoning. IMO lead is WAY WAY safer than working with tradition filler. Traditional filler has solvents in it that cause cancer as well as talc which is now being associated with cancer. Think of it like this,if you walked into a room where someone was putting lead on a panel you would not smell anything because it doesn't go into the air. If you walked into a room where someone is applying filler or even applied it hours ago you will smell it and those odors are carcnogenic as is the dust that is being spread all over by sanding.