Leaf spring restoration question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 1beautifuldaughter, Dec 6, 2017.

1. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter Member

Aug 28, 2017
    I want to refurbish the appearance of my original leaf springs rather then replace them. My question is is there a successful process for replacing the retainer bands so that they will stay tight where they should be? My originals kind of crept away from there original locations and became loose and rattle. Just wonder if anyone has any feedback. New ones? are they available? special tools to tighten ?? or any tricks that might be helpful, Thanks

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Not anything I would want to do. If they're used enough that the bands are out of place, they've lived their useful life. New ones are available, just stay away from the generic Camaro/Nova springs as they are too long for a Camaro and will raise the rear height.

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I’d replace them with new. You could re arch your old ones but doing that is almost as much as buying new ones. They do wear out.

4. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Thanks I was just thinking about how it seems every time I have seen replaced springs they sit too high. I thing the only issue with mine are those bands moved. Thanks for the replies, I do understand the reasoning. A friend of mine just replaced springs in a 73 trans am and it looked like 4 wheel drive. They told him the springs where not to blame and he installed lowering blocks.

5. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    I was in the same boat as you. I didn't want to replace my leaf springs and they didn't seem to be damaged, so I rebuilt them. One of my bands had moved just as you described, so I was careful to inspect the main leaf at the shock plate for damage. It seemed ok so I cleaned, sanded, primed (epoxy primer), and painted each leaf with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black. Powder coating apparently is risky because the 400 degree curing temp is very close to the level that will affect the temper of the metal. Also, painting in between leaves is inadvisable because friction will wear away the added thickness and loosen the through bolt in the center of the spring- the main cause of spring breakage. I got all this info from the Eaton Detroit Spring website. Anyway, I DID paint in between leaves because I used leaf spring liner between all the leaves. I used the kind that has the flanges that stick out from between the leaves. I notched those flanges where the bands are supposed to go, in an attempt to make the bands stay put. I don't like the idea of big rivet holes punched in the leaves to hold the bands in place. Will my scheme work? I don't know, they haven't been run on the car yet. But I'm hoping! P.S. In addition to the liner, I used tip pads on the ends of two of the four leaves just like the factory did. I figure a little extra durability can't hurt.