Leaf Spring Pocket J-clips/nuts

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by djorgensen3, Feb 21, 2018.

1. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    Okay I have done a bunch of searching and gone to NAPA, Lowes, O'Reilly and the dealership looking for these things. I broke 5 out of the six which I expected but I haven't been successful in locating any locally. I know there are kits out there but I really want something that has an actual nut on the top side versus stamped and threaded. I have even tried the closest metric version with no luck. Anybody know of a vendor that sells quality pieces?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I haven’t seen the original style in local stores. Even when you buy a kit say from Hotchkis they are the threaded boss. Why are you against using them? It’s funny because you want to replace them with original nut top style yet originals broke.

3. djorgensen3

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    Yeah I think I will be using what I can get. I did a bunch more reading after I posted this question and came to the realization that many people are having success with the CIP branded clip nuts. I am gonna try a local spring shop in the morning and if they don't have anything, I'll order some from AMK products.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
  5. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Don’t get me wrong , AMK sells good stuff but don’t be shocked they sell the same clips you are seeing around

6. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    All three of those are wrong

The original has what looks like a regular nut welded on top of the clip.

Attached Files:

7. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Delray Beach Florida
    There were two styles used originally AFIK. The ones with the square nuts and the CIP ones shown above. I haven't seen the nut ones sold anywhere recently.

8. djorgensen3

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    As far as I can tell, the ones with the nut are not reproduced so that leaves the CIP branded ones unless I make my own with grade 8 hardware.

9. djorgensen3

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    Well the trip to two valley spring shops, Valley Spring Service and Dunbar, proved unsuccessful. However, the guy at Dunbar said he has, in the past on these types of spring mounts, minimally opened up the slot that the clip slides into and dropped a 1" long grade 8 bolt through from the top and use a washer and nut on the bottom. He said to just make sure I am careful when locating the pocket so I don't push the bolts up into the opening. I think I might see if this will work and if it does, I will add a c-clip onto the bolt so it can't push back up.