LAZY 700R

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Lou6t4gto, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    I had a rebuilt 700r put in my 73 "Z". the trans (I use the word lightly) "Shifts" into 2nd at about 10mph, 3rd at about 22, and tries 4th at about 38mph (then can't seem to make up it's mind if it wants 3rd or 4th gear. the so called "shifts" are, well.... slow to slippin'. my 30 year old Fiero 4 cyl car shifts better ! it's under warranty, but isn't this a "pressure problem" ? ( has a corvette servo, but no shift kit was installed). Wide open throttle, holding it in gear, it shifts better, but at part throttle seems like it's a recepe for disaster. Thanks

2. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

May 14, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    Sounds like the TV cable needs to be a little tighter. I would try making it shorter a couple of notches.

3. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    I "personally" Cannot touch the cable, or they have "ammo" to say the warranty is voided ! They have to fix it.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    What stall torque converter? With my 4K, it's real soft and quick shifts when putting around town, different story when the loud pedal is engaged.

5. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

May 14, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    If you cannot adjust it, then take a lead fishing sinker and put it on the cable to make it shorter. It is easily removable and will give you an answer. Or, just let them fix it

wiseryder likes this.
  6. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    It's a 2200 stall I believe. it's a stock 1993 corvette converter. I'm "Tempted" to try it , but they will be checking it out tuesday, so maybe I should play it safe till then, not driving it except to get it there. thanks. will post what turns out.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Take it back to the folks who built it and have them set it up for you.
    No full throttle shifts until they do!

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Besides the TV cable it could be the governor, its under the round dome shaped cover on the side of the trans. It has weights on it that spring outwards. The weights on mine are almost like sheet metal, thin an light, this makes it shift faster between gears. Yours might be much heavier. You can drill holes in them to lighten them. I'm not a transmission man but I did rebuild my 700r4 myself. If readjusting the cable doesn't help you might have low fluid pressure or leaking lip seals.