Late rear with early body: rear brake hose question.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by NoneToPass, Oct 13, 2017.

1. NoneToPass

NoneToPass Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    I'm putting a later rear (77?+) with the brake block located mid-tube (drivers side) in my '75 with the early location for the brake tube bracket (just left of the driveshaft tunnel).

Since I'm "mixing" the two locations can anyone tell me if the original brake tube will reach the new location without crimping, rubbing or ripping out during full rear end travel?

I can't be the first person to have done this.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    I cannot answer but you could just buy one that is longer....

3. NoneToPass

Jan 4, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    I'm trying to avoid having to re-engineer this. If I simply buy a longer one and it's too long it could rub the body. Too short can get me a crimped line in full up or down or worse: torn out. I could migrate to the later style frame position but I'd have to cut the main brake line and reflare it. That could get me replacing the entire main line if it goes wrong (we are talking about 40+ year old brake lines here). I could also fab a brake block bracket; again, more engineering.

Anyone who has already done this and used the existing brake hose would already know if it worked out OK.

4. NoneToPass

Jan 4, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Here's a couple of pics.: early/late setup. 74Z-axle1.jpg Late-BrakeLine.jpg

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm confused on what the issue is. The early junction was simply bolted to the housing cover. Do you have the fork like bracket?

All you need to do is transfer over your old brake lines to the new rearend. Grind off the late year bracket off the tube. If it was the opposite then you would need to weld on the bracket to the axle tube.
    No need to modify a thing on the car

6. NoneToPass

Jan 4, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the suggestion Badazz.

I forgot to mention it was a disc brake rear so the brake line swap was not an option.

The bottom line here was pretty simple: keep ALL of your hose on the same side of the exhaust. I ended up making custom brake lines to use the original diff. cover location.