Late model GTO seat install on second gen!!!

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by spav350, Aug 3, 2009.

1. 70rat

70rat Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Reno,NV USA
    Looks good Sean. :bowtie:

2. spav350

spav350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Thanks Jimmy. Looks better than GTO on them.

3. 70rat

70rat Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Reno,NV USA
    I concur. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  4. Venom73

Venom73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    Really Really NICE

5. spav350

Apr 8, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Thanks 70rat and venom73. The best part about it, was they were done for FREE!

6. GanGanz81

GanGanz81 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2001
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Wow those look great... love how the back seats follow the theme!

7. trauschu

trauschu Member

Dec 15, 2008
    South Central TX
    Love the thread. About to try to install a set of front and rear '05 GTO seats in my '77.

I have two ideas/questions I want to throw out there.

The later year 2nd gen floorpans are not flat side-to-side on the two front bolts, so using a straight piece of 1/4" barstock won't be possible. The inner bolt hole on the driver side is approx 3/4" higher that the outer rocker hole, and on the passenger side, the inner hole is 1" higher. Any thoughts on the best way to get around this? I can use the 1/4" bar stock as mentioned in this thread, and simply cut it into three sections, and re-weld it back together to countour the floorpan. Might there be a better way?

Also, the first thing I noticed when I mocked up the GTO rear seats was that they were too high and would block a lot of the rear vision. Is there a reason why was the decision made to take the 4" out of middle of the seat back, and not the top? Wouldn't that mess with the original seat area that contours to the lower/mid back, where most of the support needs to be? My immediate thought on shortening the rear seats was to loose the adjustable headrest on the top, and cut off that foam/leather loop that surrounds the headrest. This shortens the seat at least 4" but doesn't alter the way the seat feels, just removes the rear headrest, which 2nd gens never had anyway.

Comments please. Tell me if my thought processes are screwed up. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. spav350

Apr 8, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    For the floor pan issue, I'd use just a shim (washers, whatever) to get the brackets to mount flat.

I removed 4" from the middle of the frame because those 1/8" rods were the straightest at that point. There is no real lumbar support in the backs of the rear seats. I found it was easier to cut the foam off the bottom of the seat then to have to section the backrest. Looking at elimenating the headrest seems to be way more work then I would want to do, but by all means, no one car should be the same. Post up if you do it that way.

9. trauschu

trauschu Member

Dec 15, 2008
    South Central TX
    I'm concerned with shimming the front seats up any higher than necessary, since they are already huge seats, and other people mention about the seats being too tall and put your head into the roof. I guess I''ll take some detailed measurements with the seats before deciding how to do the front seat mounting brackets.

I see your point about the lower part of the rear seats. That would probably be an easier way to modify the foam and the leather. Like I mentioned in my post above, removal of the headrest area was my first thought, and that obviously didn't mean it was the best one....I guess I tend to do things the "hard" way, so that doesn't surprise me. :)

I love the new emblems you had stitched into the seats. Looks great. Do you think your guy down there would be willing to stitch a set of flaming chickens, or a Pontiac emblem into my seats for my '77 if I bring them down from SA?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  10. spav350

Apr 8, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    You would have to ask him. He just covered the GTO with the bowtie on mine. I don't know if he could do that with two chickens or a pontiac symbol. They wouldn't cover all the GTO up I wouldn't think, but you'd just have to sketch something out I guess and let him see. Let me know if you want to talk to him.