lap welding help,

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by rusty76, Aug 3, 2009.

1. rusty76

rusty76 Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Clarksville Tn
    No, I cant convert it to gas. I dont think im going to have much use for it after this project.

2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I got news for you...it's not much use for your project now. I can't even imagine welding thin sheet with flux core. And I learned in High School.

Take it back or sell it on E-bay and get a gas shielded set up.

[​IMG]

3. rusty76

rusty76 Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Clarksville Tn
    do you think it would help if I flanged the new pieces and did some plug welds along with alot of tacks? Would I at least get two pieces of metal to stick together?

4. Pitzy0

Pitzy0 Veteran Member

May 25, 2008
    REGINA
  5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    That flux core stuff may,and probably will come back to haunt you.It has contaminants in it that come back thru your paint after awhile.I did the same thing you did in the beginning.Bought a harbor freight flux core for the sheet metal.Its the worst thing you can do.Itll warp your metal too.I bit the bullet and stepped up to a cheapo mig.Handy mig by Lincoln,sold at Sears.Its not the best,but its done everything Ive asked well,all for 250.00.That is the absolute cheapest I think Ive ever seen a Mig go for.But you need it.

6. Dbl Zeta

Dbl Zeta Veteran Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I bought the harbor freight 90 amp welder also. I just used it to patch the firewall of my 73. But I've used it more for fixing everybody's gate here in the neighborhood. It makes messy welds but you can grind them down. I used a higher wire speed then I thought was necessary but I got better results check out my firewall so far.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158393
    Good Luck

7. rusty76

rusty76 Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Clarksville Tn
    Looks great , you deffinitley have a bit more skill than I do, I found a guy here in Tn that is going to come weld my panels on for me this weekend. All I have to do is fit them up there.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Good deal!
    Always great to know someone with welding skills! :D

9. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    You NEED to be listening to krabben1 here. He knows what he speaks. I forgot about a guy I knew that welded patch panels on with flux core...only to have dark lines appear in his new paint 6 months later.

And you can't compare welding a firewall to welding body panels.

10. rusty76

rusty76 Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Clarksville Tn
    I know, but for now I have to work with what I have.