lap welding help,

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by rusty76, Aug 3, 2009.

1. rusty76

rusty76 Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Clarksville Tn
    Im new to welding and I have all new patch panels for my 76. This weekend I tried some butt welding and wound up just burning alot of holes in the metal. The two of them were held together pretty well so I left it as it was. Butt welding isnt working for me, so would lap welding work for body patch panels? help would be great, I would hate to ruin these panels. Thanks

2. a550550

a550550 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2008
    minnesota
    How long are you holding the trigger, and what is your setting?

3. rusty76

rusty76 Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Clarksville Tn
    Its a 90 amp, flux/mig gasless from harbor freight. I have the heat setting on Min and the wire speed on about 3 out of 10. I only hold the trigger for about a half a second to a second.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  4. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    A bit part of your problem is welding without gas. It is hotter and more likely to burn through.
    Flux core wire is okay for thicker stuff and is meant for windy conditions, where the gas will get blown away.

5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Turn your wire speed up a little and play around on some scrap pieces til you get comfortable. Lap will be easier with the flux core too. Just tach a spot and move around the panel so you don't get it too hot. Works pretty good for floor pans etc. Haven't tried on my quarter patch panels yet but will be doing so soon.

6. rkauto2

rkauto2 Member

Jul 30, 2009
    richmond me.
    Lap welding will work but its not the perfered way to go because its much harder to do the finish work [hide the repair]. Somtimes you can put the patch panel behind the main panel and plug weld it or lap weld it....far less finish work, also eastwood sells panel flangers that may help

7. Pitzy0

Pitzy0 Veteran Member

May 25, 2008
    REGINA
    I can help you with the welding... been doing it for a while.

But welds can be tricky with thin material, especially using flux core. I'm a journeyman welder with 13 years under my belt and I still will blow through the odd time.

Here are some tricks, keep in mind all the motions I suggest occur in fractions of a second. Sound rediculous?

When I have to tack weld thin material together I want to use the lowest setting possible while still ensuring I get a good arc. Secondly, too much wire is the worst. Use just enough wire so u get a working arc.

If there is a touch of gap, try arcing on one side of the but weld and quickly get to the other side. Often the molten material will attract itself to the other molten material and u end up getting a tack. Remember this all occurs in fractions of a second.

Above all else, a good fit up is what will make your job easy. 95% of welding and fitting is the fitting.

8. rusty76

rusty76 Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Clarksville Tn
    ok, Thanks. I think Im gonna start on the front fender patch panel first. Its the cheapest if I have to buy a new one.

9. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    I have been hobbyist welding for about 8 years and I wouldn't be able to weld body sheet metal w/ flux wire without gas. That is going to make it almost impossible to get good results for a beginner

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Good fit and CLEAN metal. Proper preparation is another key to good welds.
    Get all rust, paint, grease, dirt off the surface before you weld it.

Can you add gas to your welder?
    If you plan on doing much welding, it will be worth the expense, IMO.