KRABBEN1s 72 SS

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by krabben1, Jul 31, 2008.

1. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    I just put a Mcleod clutch in couple weeks ago and got a bastard tool as well...lol . I put the tool in and out of my old clutch plate to shave it down.

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Thats the reason I called them.I was waiting for the "yeah,we've had a load of bad ones".
    It was the first he'd heard of it.Luckily,I had the old one here.

3. MotionClone

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    When mine didnt fit I got freaked too for a second but I sighted down the splines and saw where the thing is a hair fatter in the middle:eek: . I didnt call I just figured they had the alignment tools made in china.:mad:

4. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Just sent them a SCATHING letter on their website.

5. MotionClone

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    Mine was a 10 spline was yours?

6. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Yup.
    Then the guy started telling me they mightve put the wrong 10 spline hub in the clutch pack.I said how many are there? He said like 6.
    But it was a 1-1/8" versus 1-1/4" thing,so I wouldve not been able to get the clutch tool in at all if was that.
    Im glad nothing has to go back in the mail.

7. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    I AM THE LUCKY ONE!
    Discovered the pivot stud was broken,and sitting there when I took everything apart.
    No biggie,I'll just buy that bracket they make for the engine blocks that werent drilled from the factory for it.
    I get the damn thing from Scoggins-Dickey,and immediatly notice that the stud will sit much farther out,away from the block,than it did.
    I figure,no big deal,they prolly took thatn into account,because I havent heard one peep on a problem with them.
    Bracket has to be modified,so I am the lucky guy,lol.They supply you with a standard size pivot stud with the bracket,when in fact,it needs to be shorter for their current design.There is a thread boss that sticks out an 1/8" behind it,the 3/16" thick bracket itself,and another 1/8" boss in the front.Plus the 1/8" behind it,to the block.
    Bastards.No one checks anything anymore,just send it out the door.

8. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    So they should have sent you something different? Or is it just improper design?

9. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Bad design.They never installed this piece on a car.
    Pushes the pivot ball almost an inch into the bellcrank,which is step drilled inside to prevent that.

10. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Pics of the fix.Wound up removing the threaded insert,inserting the pivot ball thru to where the flange would like to be,and welded both front and back.
    So,the pivot is now part of the bracket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2016