Kobalt tools

Discussion in 'Florida Region' started by PalmbchZ28, May 10, 2017.

1. Goldduster360

Goldduster360 Member

May 11, 2004
    Vero Beach, FL
    I have had Craftsman tools for most of my life, have not had to take them up on their warranty more than a couple of times. Harbor Freight has lifetime warranty on the Pittsburgh line of tools, they seem pretty decent for such a low cash outlay and unlike Sears may be around longer than me. I noticed much of the craftsman line is made in china now, just like harbor. High end tools are nice but most weekend warrior/shade trees can probably do without.

2. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Just picked up the Harbor Freight 225 pc set for about $100. Chrome is uniform, rachets are not that great but the sockets and bits, etc. are fine. I figure once the ratchets go I can replace those with better and keep using the rest.

3. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    Ebay is a good place to find Snap-on tools. The cheap stuff will only let you down. The price is hard to swallow but you only wince once!

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    You loved your old Snap On tools, but you might not love the new ones. Much of their stuff today is Chinese just like the cheap brands. You just pay a lot more for a Chinese Snap On than you pay for a Chinese Harbor Freight tool.
    I still have my old 40+ year old Craftsman tools and still am perfectly happy with them. When I need to add a tool to my box, I go shopping at my little local used tool shop. He has most of the old stuff on hand of just about every brand and tool you might need.

5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    Palm Beach, check out Northern Tool. They have been my go to store since Craftsman went to hell. I think they are good quality for the price and the customer service is top notch.

6. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

May 29, 2001
    Orlando, Fla
    I have all MAC and Snap-ON.. yeah the whole set will require a mortgage, but a little at a time as you need them works for most. That's how I got mine "off the truck".

Picked up a Snap-On 1/2 impact at a pawn shop last year. So they are out there. But you gotta look.

7. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    There is a Harbor Freight about a Mile from house and I can't remember the last time I went there. I only buy cheap stuff there - latex gloves, their step-bits are pretty good, their cheap Air Tools are usually good for a year.

But I've never bought any hand tool there. Fortunately I have mostly old Snap-On, MAC, MatCo and older Craftsman. I have a handful of Kobalt Tools but at least 10 years old. My Kobolt shovel is the best shoval I've ever used and it is at least 15 years old.

I think Craftsman tools will be around for quite a while, Sears not so much! Craftsman will probably become the exclusive Ace Hardware Tool Line.