Kobalt tools

Discussion in 'Florida Region' started by PalmbchZ28, May 10, 2017.

1. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    After taking almost 40 years off of working on classic cars, I am coming back to what I really loved. In preparation for my retirement from mechanical contractor (hopefully sooner than later), I recently have built a 2 bay shop and started buying mechanics tools, 2 post lift etc.

When I was younger I always used Snap-on tools (my brother's). When I saw the complete SNAP-on mechanics set price I almost fell out! Obviously just getting back into the groove I was not willing to spend that kind of money. So I went with the big box store brand Kobalt that carries a decent warranty. Obviously I was not expecting Snap-on top quality at Kobalt price.

I have to say that I am very disappointed in the quality of the hand tools. The finish on the chrome is very inferior on some parts of the tools. Ratchets are kind of clunky now. Even the Phillips screwdriver tips are kind of crappy and uneven. It also appears that at least some of the tools are made in Taiwan and "other" places oversees. I compared the new tools to some old Kobalt tools I had from about 20 years ago and there is a stark difference in quality :-( I was not aware that Kobalt changed their supplier in 2003 and again in 2011.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    If you're disappointed in Kobalt, then you'll absolutely hate Craftsman.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You can often find decent vintage tools at garage sales, estate auctions and flea markets.

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I hate to admit it but I only have been using Kobalt ratchets since my local Sears closed & I can't exchange anything Craftsman ;(

I'm more than happy with all the Kobalt stuff I have

5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I have used Snap on tools for years, you can't beat them. But you are correct the price will knock you socks off.

6. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Garage Sales & Pawn Shops for Snap-On, MAC, & Matco.

7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    but when they break your effed

8. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Around here anything that is good used stuff like Snap-on tools or John Deere etc.... places always have buddies with standing orders so the good stuff never even makes it up for sale to the public.....And it takes a lot of yard sales to make a complete set.
    It is kind of funny...When I was 16 I used to clean the offices at the Snap-on tool factory in Mt. Carmel IL ....I would go out in the factory and drool over all the shiny tools .... Knowing someday I would own a full set..Today that full set costs around $20,000. Approximately 5 times Kobalt... So Blue is the new red lol

9. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    No your not - Snap-On will still replace them

10. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    I don't know if you guys have any Menards home stores around but there master force brand is Made in USA and lifetime warranty. I have a couple sets of wrenches and a socket set. So far no casualties. Lol