killswitch

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 7383camaro, May 13, 2005.

1. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Princeville, IL USA
    If you have a MSD with rev limiter, just pull the RPM pill out. It won't run and most thieves have no idea why.

2. AceZ28_OVERKILL

AceZ28_OVERKILL Veteran Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Walkerton, In, 46574
    I have an MSD 6AL and run no rpm chip in it when I test how far I can crank the rpm, It works with a chip in, and runs fine with no chip in, it just doesn't have a limit to stop it...

3. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Princeville, IL USA
    that's strange. Mine won't run without it.

How do I know? Like an idiot, I removed the chip one day and forgot about it. I couldn't get the thing to run, and ended up replacing the box. Later I figured out my mistake and that box is happily running in another car now. I pulled the pill out of the new box and replicated the problem, put the chip back in and it ran fine.

I wonder if they've changed the design at some time.

4. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

May 3, 2004
    Tucker, GA, USA
    I have a few tricks I use.

One of my favorites with a stickshift Camaro. The clutch switch is on the column. You take the "L" arm out of the clutch pedal and turn it 90°.

I did it on mine so I could start the car by reaching in the window. Pop it the other way and the car won't start even if you push the clutch in.

The Monza is armed for bear (fuel pump cutout) and I've added a few "enhancements" to the factory alarm system in the GTP. If I forget and flip the gas door closed it goes batcrackers. I can rap the windshield with a knuckle and set it off...

Nothing saves you if they really want the car though.

Just have to try to make it as difficult as possible...

F'in ripoff bastards.

:mad:

5. Alohabr

Alohabr Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I use the Grant wheel with the release and a Ravelco anti-theft device.
    www.ravelco.com

6. AceZ28_OVERKILL

AceZ28_OVERKILL Veteran Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Walkerton, In, 46574
    I don't know how new your 6 AL is mine would be about 8 years old right now, If It hadn't went up in smoke... My neighbors is a few years old also, and works fine with no Rpm chip in it, so No idea why yours won't, there is a wire that can be grounded out that will stop it from firing if hooked up to a kill switch thow...

7. bd80z28

bd80z28 Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Troy, Il. 62294
    I've heard of using the lighter before, but I don't know if it'd really work though. Push it in and you have a circuit pull it out and no circuit. I might give it a try.

8. Cougar125

Cougar125 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Whidbey Island, WA
    I'd probably do the fuel cut-off seeing as how I wouldn't know how to do the electrical right away...it'd take some learning. I'm gong to put fuel cut-off on my truck when I get back, seeing as how I hold nearly 90 gallons of fuel now. ;) It'd run a long ways before it ran out of gas.

9. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    NHRA calls for a kill switch for any relocated battery. What would be the best way to do this?

10. That is one my dad used back in the 70s. I dont remember the exact way to wire it. It wont work pushing it in to complete the circut to run. If it were in to run, it would heat up and click it out killing power. Tho that could work as the trigger wire for the starter. If it doesnt start right away tho youll have to sit there and wait for the lighter to cool before trying again. Use it as a ground and when the lighter is in it wont start. Somethin along that lines anyhow.

I used to kill the power to the fuel pump on my Jeep. As I was coming down the road about 1/8 mile from home Id kill it by pulling a wire under the dash...I knew exactly where it was and it just looked like the loose wire that it was. By doing so I would run some of the gas from the bowls on that last bit home. That way they COULD steal it, but not get far. A 7+ foot tall lime green Jeep on 40in tall tires kinda stands out BAD when its in the middle of the road. Either way from where we lived at the time was a main road and it would be seen. That way it wasnt an attempted theft, it WAS stolen, but didnt get far and the charges wouldnt be some BS criminal mischief charge it would be auto theft. The fact that it was nasty loud and parked less than 20 feet from me at nite helped.