killswitch

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 7383camaro, May 13, 2005.

1. 7383camaro

7383camaro Veteran Member

Sep 5, 2004
    L.A, California
    I've been reading some sad stories about people getting there camaros stolen.I need help with a killswitch ..what are some good ones?

2. archemedes

archemedes Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Saraland AL,USA
    one you make and put somewhere a thief won't look a good heavy duty switch in a main power line will work I prefer starter kills myself so in the event of failure on the road the car doesn't die (if you have a battery kill for instance you kill teh electrical circuit)

------------------
    To err is human; but to really screw things up
    requires a computer.

Give blood play hockey!

3. 468RAT

468RAT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I moved my battery to the trunk and installed a battery cut off switch in the trunk to kill all power. I did run a dedicated line from the c/d radio clock to keep it powered up for the clock and radio stations, I just have to manually shut it off when I leave. Have seen the switch in different hiding places on other cars too. The switch I got from local speed shop for a couple of bucks.

4. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Best anti-theft I have seen was posted in the BS topic not long ago, they installed an aftermartket steering wheel with a quick release hub. Take the steering wheel off and toss it in the truck, I cant see 2 many thiefts going for a car they cant turn.

5. probizjudi

probizjudi Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Camaro75

Tell me more about this quick release steering wheel-where to get, price if ya know etc.

Thx

------------------
    70 Camaro 350 TH350; 2bbl "work in progress"! Stay tuned for updates!
    Update(s): 3.42 posi purchased & finally installed!
    Look Ma! No interior!

Look Ma! Suspension parts, sway bars, shocks and more received!

look Ma! New leaf springs, rear drum brake upgrades installed!
    Tires/Wheels have arrived! TT2's 16X7, & 16X8

Now onto the front suspension!

The work has really begun (Finally!)

6. jim72ss

jim72ss Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2005
    salem NH
    On my old 79Z i put a Electric fuel pump in and had a kill swich hidden under the Pass seat. might do it to my 72 now

7. 70modelz28

70modelz28 Veteran Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Hughes Springs, Tx
    probiz i am pretty sure i saw one in jegs or summit. you might look in those or speedway. i thought about getting one.

8. CoryM

CoryM Veteran Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Best way is to hide the switches completely. Find a crack in the dash way up high that you can hide a switch behind and just poke it with your key before starting. A/C deletes or whatever. Build a little guide to keep the key from slipping off. Ive had killswitches connected to my heater controls (had to hold the defrost lever all the way to the right to engage the starter) and seen them connected to turn signals and other factory controls. They trick is to hide them so far up the dash the switch and wires cant be seen. Same goes for alarms and other antithefts. I install the alarm horn inside the car too. Makes it hard for the thief to work when he has a 120db+ horn under the dash going off [​IMG] .

------------------
    Currently Camaroless

9. dedjr67

dedjr67 Member

May 12, 2005
    Fitchburg Ma USA
    Grant makes a removable steering wheel anti theft device. I have one on my 79. you use a standerd grant wheel with there hub. comes with a key and a cover plate.
    http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html
    part number is 2001

------------------
    purple with silver and blue flame painted 79 Berlinetta 400 sb 11.5/1 comp fuelie heads shaved door handles

10. 73454

73454 Guest

If a thief wants your car bad enough he will just tow you off. It takes literally 10 seconds to get a car on the back of a tow truck nowadays. They drive up to you backwards, the lift is hydraulic, and it clamps itself under the fron and rear of your tires, and it lifts the car, and the driver drives away.