Kerosene to flush engine???

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by White81Z28, Mar 22, 2008.

1. White81Z28

White81Z28 Veteran Member

I was at Advance Auto today picking up some Sea Foam to try to clean out some of the carbon in the intake. The guy told me to drain my oil, replace with some kerosene and let run for about 5 minutes. Then drain kerosene, change oil filter, and replace oil. Has anyone heard of doing this to clean out the engine gunk?

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Was that guy 100000 years old? Because that is an old guy trick. Risoline is the same basic thing. Engine flush products are bad news. IMO

Don't do it. At best it will open up every little leak in the world.

3. 3origZlovers

3origZlovers Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Springfield,MO. USA
    I agree..if it doesn't leak like a sieve now, it will after you run kerosene through it. Bad thing they used to do in the 50's.:screwup:

4. TheFly

TheFly Guest

it works but is to thin to run straight, what they would do is just add a quart, let it run for 5-10 min then drain it. Helps get all the old oil n gunk out easier.

Folks still do that, allot of them use tranny fluid for its hi detergents.
    Some run a mix of 4 of oil and 1 of tranny fluid all the time, not just for a flush. [Some do that in their manual box tranny, run mix of gear oil n tranny fluid.]

Allot of guys swear by Shell Rotella 15-40w for the same things. Its a hi detergent motor oil for dirty diesel engines. It does work well.

But to well on a hi mile engine. There is allot of good gunk.
    Holding back the leaks or even filling space where oil could leak out of engine parts, lowering your oil psi. {I know first hand on that. Don't run hi detergent sutff in a hi mile car. 200k+}

5. White81Z28

White81Z28 Veteran Member

I put about a 1/2 pint of sea foam in the crankcase like the bottle said, do you think that will cause me some leaks?

So Im guessing yall are saying not to do it because it will cause me more problems than its worth?

What is the best way to clean the engine out?

6. mnz28

mnz28 Veteran Member

Apr 3, 2004
    wi
    Did the guy offer to sell you a new engine? Ive flushed motors like that out of the car but never while running.

7. TheFly

TheFly Guest

That much seafoam isn't enough to harm anything, its good stuff.

in the Subaru world its used to stop the tick of death in their lifters.

In the bike world it works magic in folks gas. So many funky carb problems fixed buy just adding it to your gas. Easier then opening up carbs.

And yes it works for cleaning out carbon.
    But you can blow out the carbon with a glass of water.
    [Ive done that one personally.] you rev up engine and don't let it stall out while you slowly pour a galss of water down the carb. SLOWLY. The shock of steam and cold breaks carbon lose. There are all kinds of stuff made to clean carbon like seafaom but most chemical ones will smoke like hell till its all burned out. Be prepared to smoke out the hood. Still works fine.

When it comes to oil I run MMO in mine. But also in the gas every so often.
    Still one of them old guy tricks. Marvelous mystery oil, red bottle, open up and smell good, looks like tranny fluid, taste like shiet..........

8. BAAVY05

BAAVY05 Veteran Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Richlands,N.C.
    Putting karosene in your crank case is not to clean out carbon. People use to use it to clean slug out of the engine. and you didnt drain ur crank case you poured in the crank case with oil still in it. if you drained ur oil and then put it in . hope u have money to rebuild ur engine. To clean carbon use fuel cleaner. carbon is not oil build up. That is why u need to use fuel cleaner. Now if u have slug build up best thing is to take top end off and clean.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  9. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Edison NJ USA
    i work at a quick lube and when were out of the profesional engine cleaner we just put in atf instead, run it for 5-10 minutes and drain out and then put in regular oil. iv personally had no problems doing this iv even did it on my old caprice and it ran great afterwards. you will get mixed feelings on the subject like anything else some yay some nay.

10. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    atf with oil ...