Kent's 79 ever changing project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by FatnLow, Nov 14, 2008.

1. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    I wanted to go to test and tune tonight but my carb didn't cooperate. I installed a 650 double pumper from a member and I guess I didn't get it clean enough and had the center hung floats way to high. I finally got it but it is too late. Next weekend it will be on.

2. FatnLow

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    I went to test and Tune tonight. The new tires and 650 double pumper got me a best of 8.993 in the 1/8 at 75.5. The best thing I felt was 1.9 60ft times. Those tires like about 18psi. They hook much better. I think I'm still having a fuel shortage issue though. The car around 4000 acts like it is starving for gas. Currently the carb is jetted 72 primary and 76 secondary. I think with the 268 cam I'm close but I need a fresh fuel pump and a fuel filter. I need to post up a question about fuel filters. Good night though.

3. kyphur

kyphur Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Decatur, AL
    Sounds good man. The few 4th gen LS1's I've gone up against were in that time range.

4. FatnLow

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Went to test and tune tonight. My best was 8.662 @ 78.45 13.712 @ 96.69. The track had a lot more traction but it was also about 25 degrees cooler and less humid. This was the last one of the season. Now I need to figure out what I want to work on first. I want to redo headliner, along with redo interior. I lso need body bushings. I want solid with frame connectors but I may just settle for poly and no connectors. Fun night though.

5. Diefaster71

Diefaster71 Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sounds like you have been having a blast! Hahahaha, looking good, keep it up! How much of a difference did you notice in the handling after you installed the hotchkis rearend kit and moog springs? Im currently debating on what to go with for mine.

6. FatnLow

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    The moog springs helped the look and handling. I wanted the front down. They still have quite a bit of spring\bounce which I hate tire rubbing. I now have tires that don't do either. I have been seriously thinking of swapping them out with the matching hotchkis set. The rear swap made a huge difference since my rear springs were shot. It is kind of a trip now having the shocks doing some work. I had just helper springs with my old ones and it road like a tank. It handles much better now. Since it's xmas time if you watch summit they have promo's and coupons on parts. I just missed getting the front springs for $150 due to a sale.

btw I wish mine was a 4speed like yours. Welcome to the forum. This place is a wealth of knowledge and members there are many active members.

7. Diefaster71

Diefaster71 Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Im going to lower mine as well, maybe even lower than what you went, Im going 2 inches lowered at a minimum. Mine didnt come with a rear sway bar and around corners holy crap does it lean, and I have been looking at the hotchkis sway bar kit and think im gunna go with it. As for the front springs, still debating.
    The four speed is the main reason I bought the car, its a crap tranny, being a saginaw, but it gives me room to grow, been looking around for a good deal on a T56. Im not in any hurry though so we will see, lots and lots of work ahead.... And thanks for the warm welcome, this site is a freakin 2nd gen camaro gold mine.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  8. FatnLow

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Well I was going to finally fix the crack in my front bumper.

[​IMG]

I was coming out after getting it lined up for fiberglass patch and I see this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn I bought it about 10 years ago from a place selling them and it was fixed and not new. I guess I now see how long it lasts. I was thinking of getting a plastic welder and try that fix. Anyone try the plastic welder on a urethane bumper cover. I was all set to add the front spoiler I just bought.

9. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I'm diggin it! Love the green interior. You dont see that much, everyone wants black.

Have fun!

10. FatnLow

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Some progress I bought a $15 plastic welder from harbor freight and I started grinding the cracks and doing the welding.

[​IMG]

Here is finished product. I may give it another layer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one on the bottom was alot harder. I'm taking a break to give it round 2. I need to grind again.
    [​IMG]

Next I'm going to put the front spoiler on.