Kent's 79 ever changing project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by FatnLow, Nov 14, 2008.

1. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    I figure why not. everyone else has a project thread.
    Back in April
    [​IMG]
    Following front spring change to Moog 5610 springs. Wheels would no longer fit. They would rub before this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bought some new tires and picked up a cleaner set of wheels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The ripped bumper cover and no front grill just kills it for me. It got ripped when i first moved in and i was backing up and a board caught it. :whine:
    One more.
    [​IMG]
    Motor pic. 350 4bolt with world 2.02 heads and xe268 cam.
    [​IMG]
    Next project in the works. Upgrading rear from saggy stock springs to Hotchkis 1.5 drop kit and a new rear going from 3.08 posi to 3.42 posi. Ill add some pics of the r&r tonight. I have the springs in and the rear painted so hopefully she'll be running by the end of the weekend.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. Project79Z

Project79Z Veteran Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Looks good!!! I like the green, I dont think I ever seen a green late 2nd gen camaro!!

GsLawLess79 likes this.
  3. FatnLow

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    update

Thanks it was a light green with green interior. I didn't want to change dash so i went with the forest green. Here are a couple interior pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rearend out and parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was all happy about having it back in and bolted up but then i saw the rear sway bar laying on the other side of the car. :mad:
    [​IMG]
    Once again.
    [​IMG]
    Finally back on the ground. Measures 25 3/8 front bottom fenderlip and 26 rear bottom fender lip. Moog 5610 front springs and Hotchkis 2408c rear kit.
    [​IMG]
    Now i get to swap out ujoint since 74's are different from 79's. I would never have guessed i thought they were identical.:confused:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  4. iregret

iregret Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Land of enlightenment.
    Good job.

I didn't know that the u-joints would differ between the years of 2nd gens. Huh...

5. FatnLow

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Thanks me neither on the diferent u-joint. It will be another first for me. I've never changed one out.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The lower grill piece is avalable as a repop now. They are a very good fit and look exactly like the original. :D

The tear on the front cover can be repaired with a urethane epoxy fit from your local auto body supply store too.

Green interior pieces are almost impossible to find.... Your interior looks pretty much complete.

Did you put those IROC wheels on in reverse position? (Front on back and vice-versa)
    Due to different backspacing, they fit second gens better that way.

Good job on the suspension work!

7. David Hartley

David Hartley Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Glen St. Mary, Fl.
    Looking good, lower is better!;)

8. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    Were there anything wrong with the rear springs? You know that light green color you had on your car was a very rare color. I agree with Terry, those green pieces are very hard to find, keep them in great shape as you could flip those if you want to change the color of the intierior.

9. FatnLow

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    The springs were shot. I had 2 spring clamps in front of the axle and a helper spring behind the axle. I got another set from the rear i bought but am unsure of the wear etc. The set is from a 74 all i know is they had a better arch than the ones i pulled out. As for the light green color, i don't think it will ever be a serious contender for "collector status." The dash has a couple of cracks but all other plactic is good. Just got back from the game and i still hate whoever is calling the plays for Auburn. Kent

10. maxpsi

maxpsi Veteran Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Alabama
    I'm loving the progress and green interior.

What's the call, coach!?!
    [​IMG]

:crazy: