Just Sea Foam'd My Car...

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by hardline_42, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    I heard someone told me that pouring things into that hose can possibly hydrolock up an engine......true or false ???

I saw my father pour my lucas fuel injector cleaner into some hose in my manifold 1 time but I didn't know WHICH hose he poured it into and I was afraid of destroying my engine.....so I always played it safe and poured it into the tank. :screwup:

My chicks Nissan Altima GXE has 180,000 on it and it MIGHT help it to do this even though it runs great as it is. Hmm.....

2. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The instructions for use are on the Sea Foam can but it's basically exactly like what I wrote in the first post. You use half a can for the top end, half for the crankcase and a whole can for the gas tank.

Any vacuum hose will work. I just used the booster hose because because it was easy access. With a carb, I don't see why you can't just slowly pour it in while the car is running, BUT if you use a vacuum hose, you cause a vauum leak which makes your car idle at a higher RPM. This makes it easier to pour it in without prematurely stalling the engine.

Obviously, if you poured an entire can in at once, you would run the risk of hydrolocking the engine. If you pour the first two thirds of the half-can in slowly and only the last third in all at once, the amount of liquid going into each cylinder is not enough to fill the entire volume of the combustion chamber and quench height to the point where the engine will lock.

I plan on doing the Sea Foam treatment every other oil change on my DD and maybe every third one on my other vehicles. So far the performance of my Z has kept getting better. I've gained some fuel efficiency (haven't calculated it yet) and accelerating from a stop just gets better and better. I'm sold on this stuff!

3. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Daytona Florida
    I did the 75,xxx mile '76 pickup. One bank smoked more than the other, but it seemed to help a little. Gonna try the S10 next week.

4. BigAls87Z28

BigAls87Z28 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Ocean Twp. NJ, USA
    The stuff wont harm the O2 sensors, its burned off and is just smoke. Shouldnt be a problem.

5. fabio

fabio Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2007
    so ca
    Will this stuff work in a diesel? Baby could use it with over 500,000 k on her.

6. jayb53guy

jayb53guy Veteran Member Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Niceville, FL.
    Well after 3 pages of this, I think I will try it. My camaro could use it.

7. BigAls87Z28

BigAls87Z28 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Ocean Twp. NJ, USA
    Yeah, its also good for diesel.

8. efi472

efi472 New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    As a former Used Car Dealer, on the big old Cadillac that never ran at full rpm, we used a cheaper product: 1/3 brake fluid and 2/3 water.
    Just put pour into the carb slowly while keeping the eng revving at about 2000rpms.
    The brake fluid lubes well enough. You will get a nice white cloud and your neighbors should not complain.

9. craggar

craggar Veteran Member

Jul 28, 1999
    edmonton
    I've never seen it up here or would probably give it a try on something. As for the Lucus stabilizer, we use it all the time and after seeing several engines now come apart for a freshen after 200 plus 1/4 mile pass's I'll keep using it.:)

10. rickcact

rickcact Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Thompson Ct. USA
    Ok, I've read this whole post, with no negative experience from anyone. Is there anyone out there that has had a problem with using this stuff?