Just picked up rust free 70 SS

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Citrus70, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Well she is on her way to her new home. Should be early next week.

2. Termin8r

Termin8r Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 70 SS doesn't have the B42 Luggage Compartment Mat. It's not listed on my build sheet, either. I don't think that it's a standard inclusion with Z27, then.
    Please confirm.
    I do want to add one, by the way. Where's the best place to get one, if anyone knows?
    Thanks

3. spons

spons Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Indy
    You are correct sir. The trunk mat was part of the Z87 package.

One of the members here, Orange73L48, recently got one from Year One. It looked pretty nice. It's not quite as thick and heavy as the original one, but it is still pretty substantial. PM him for specifics.

Also, looking over my options list, I mistakenly noted that N40 power steering was part of Z27.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My SS didn't have the trunk mat either. It doesn't have Z87. Years ago, JC Whitney sold reproduction mats. They were heavy duty rubber ones equal to the factory original, and possibly a bit heavier. I bought one of those while they still had them. I don't know who made them for Whitney, but they are a great reproduction, cut to all the original specs so they just drop in and the jack and tire mounts all fit.

5. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    is this a trunk mat option ??

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. spons

Mar 21, 2010
    Indy
    The optional heavy rubber trunk mat was aqua and black houndstooth on top and black on the back. The one in your car looks to be original and in pretty nice shape.
    [​IMG]

Here is the mat being pulled back showing the rust holes at the rear of the the trunk pan. Most likely, water leaked in around the taillights and was trapped by the mat. My guess is there are similar rust spots at the front of the trunk pan, too, since there are grooves that span the pan front-to-back.

Passenger side rear:
    [​IMG]

Driver side rear:
    [​IMG]

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    This is the JC Whitney heavy rubber mat they sold about 20 years ago. It is a very good reproduction. I no longer see it offered since the specialty reproduction shops appeared on the internet.
    [​IMG]

8. spons

Mar 21, 2010
    Indy
    The Year One repop mat I saw in Orange73L48's car a few weeks ago is molded to fit the contours of the trunk pan like the original. Maybe it's just the picture, but this one looks pretty flat.

9. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Looks like the rim in my trunk is not orig?

10. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Well the car is home now. It is cleaner then the pics. I was even shocked to see that the AC Compressor clutch turned by hand with ease.
    Did these come from the factory jacked up in rear? Mine seems a tad bit higher in rear, white shocks.