Just picked up rust free 70 SS

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Citrus70, Sep 4, 2012.

1. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    KY
    Citrus..Well bought car! ...Congrats!

Go ahead... just add an original tach! Since it doesn't have the original motor, you have some flexibility in how you want to finish it. An original tach would be a nice option...IMO. You would need to change out the dash harness/ front harness or perform the U14 wiring conversion shown here...
    http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/tech/u14swap.html

Can't wait to follow your progress. Keep us posted...and take tons, I mean tons of high quality pics to document your work!

2. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    I can live with out the tach. I will take many pics when it hits my drive the first time, ha ha ha. Yea my father in law did a resto of a 1971 Chevelle 10 years or so ago, NO PICS of it. I even told him, "take pics, it will show how much was done and the right way, would help your asking price down the line" not one pic was taken. Ha ha ha
    Anyway, mine will be a slow process. Ganna go through through mechanics of it, brakes, etc and replace so it is safe to drive and work on small stuff for now.

3. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    KY
    Gas tank removal should be a breeze with that clean undercarriage. Spray the anchor bolts down with Rust buster/WD and don;t forget to disconnect your ground wire. Use floor jack to lower the tank and put carpet square or foam pad on jack saddle to prevent scratching the tank. ....OH! And the best part...maybe you'll find that "lusted after" build sheet up under there too. What a bonus that will be!

4. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    There is a ground wire on the tank? Is the fuel pickup access from the top or the bottom, of the tank?

5. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    KY
    Well, there's actually 2 wires...A brown wire coming off the fuel gauge tank sender (access from top once dropped) that passes through a fisher body clip under the fuel door opening, left side then through a rubber grommet and then disconnects in the trunk harness by the license lamps. There is also a ground wire that connects to the sender but I don't recall where it screws into the under-body exactly (been a few years). So lower slowly and check carefully until all is clear. Then lower away...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  6. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

May 22, 2002
    Indianapolis, IN
    Congrats on such a clean score! My '73 was a rust free SW desert car as well, and I can tell you from experience that it really make the entire resto a pleasure.

Are you planning on keeping the vinyl top? Having one, I'm a little partial to them myself ;)

(Having a collection of them himself, I knew spons would be all over this post!!)

7. spons

spons Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Indy
    I really like the '70 SS350 cars with custom interior.

8. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    I grew up with Vinyl tops as a kid (1970's) so I like them. More then likely I will put one back on.

9. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    correction:

"Z27 option also includes stainless steel exhaust tips"

the tips are chrome, not stainless ... :)

10. spons

spons Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Indy
    Good catch. Got the originals (chrome) confused with the repops (stainless).