Just got my first Camaro - 1979 Z28

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by corellianvette, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Great color ...... very rare to find a stock engine compartment in one of these. Keep her clean.

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    WOW! What a beautiful Camaro!

And welcome to NastyZ28.com. You'll love it here. Great folks with a ton of knowledge about "everything you need to know" from Camaros to life in general.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The build numbers started with 500000, IIRC.
    You car is 101,000 units into the year for that plant. (2 plants produed them) It's a fairly late build for 79.
    (With over a quarter million 79 Camaros... There are some 640... numbers out there.)

Options..... I'll take a stab at them.

B81 DELT BDY ORN
    D88 SPORT STRIPES
    T93 BLK TAIL LPS
    19I BLACK TRIM
    53A GOLD STRIPE#1

My 80 Berlinetta had the 53A Gold Stripe #1 option.... It was gold pin stripes around the bumper and wheel wells.
    Maybe that was something different in 79?

19I is the interior color

I'm guessing the T93 BLK TAIL LPS was the black tail panel filler pieces.
    (To distinguish between *** SILVER TAIL LPS on a Berlinetta during assembly?)

The tail light lenses and the fender markers on yours have been sprayed with a tint..... Not a factory option.

B81 DELT BDY ORN (Delete Body Ornamentation?)
    D88 SPORT STRIPES (Z28 stripes?)

There have been some changes made in the engine compartment but details like the plastic clips holding the plug wires to the valve covers are not seen very often. :D

Very nice looking car!!!! :D :cool:

There aren't many pieces missing to take the engine compartment back to factory and the interior looks pretty close too.

As far as exterior body parts....
    The Z28 stripes and front turn signal cross hairs are missing.
    (And you have a 78 drivers side tail light lens. I'm almost embarassed I noticed that. :screwup: )

I'm not going to nitpick everything I see. (Unless you're requesting it.)

It's a damn fine looking car. What are you plans for it?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  4. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    I am jealous. I am sure it was a good price but still I bet it was signficant amount of cash. Your car is very stock and clean looking. I love that look.

Welcome to Nasty...I dont believe your car is all that rare but regardless, it is very beautiful. I love it. :confused: :cool: :shy:

5. corellianvette

corellianvette New Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Woodinville, WA
    Thanks very much for the kind words everyone. I'm very happy with the car so far but still have some kinks to work out.

Twisted_Metal thanks for the thorough evaluation. Please, continue to point out incorrect things. Some are obvious even to me (like plug wires, battery cables and wheels) but it's the detail things I can use help with.

My plan right now is to tinker and enjoy it. I'd like to get it more correct (do some detail stuff) but I will probably leave the exterior alone since I like the sort of all black look.

The car (I believe) was super cheap. So I can spend some money to do some detail work and drive it. The wife kindly let me get it because it was such a deal but long term i have to get rid of something. In the last 4 months alone I've bought 4 2nd Gens (the other three are Pontiacs) so I have to decide what to keep and what to sell.

But for now I'm sure enjoying it!

6. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Good to hear!! although I had to buy my wife "Camaro Compensation". i.e. a new washer and dryer!!

7. B.M.

B.M. Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Columbus,Ohio
    I would definitely put this car on the list of keepers,it's a very nice looking ride.

8. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2009
    pottsville,pa.
    Welcome , great looking car

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You said it has the F41 suspension which should include (I think) a rear sway bar and a Z28 would also have aluminum blocks under the front suspension bump stops.

I'm figuring it is a true Z28 and not a clone. (I don't see any Z pieces missing besides the stripes and signal cross hairs)

I'll concentrate on what I know about the engine comparment for now.....

There are two thermal switches missing from the water neck along with their related vacuum hoses.
    It has an aftermarket coil cover on the distributor. (It's missing the plug wire retainer ring the stock one had.)

The fuel filter should be in the carb inlet. (No external filter.)

Missing stickers on the radiator support cover and air cleaner.

Tower hose clamps were used on the radiator hose from the factory.

The fan shroud should have "Caution Fan" on it.

Air cleaner lid..... I don't recall ever seeing a factory chrome lid for a 79.

Brake booster should be that gold/cadmium/zinc dichromate (whatever) color instead of black.

It could have had a smog pump originally (Cali cars got them, IIRC) but this one didn't if those are the original manifolds.

Hard to tell from the pics but the shade of black looks too uniform under the hood. (Bolts, braces, radiator support cover, inner fenders... All look the same.)
    The bolts should be black phosphate and the other parts were slightly different in sheen and color because they weren't all done from the same can of paint.

Personally, I would never worry about going to the extreme of stripping and plating the bolts or getting the "correct" sheen of black on the fender wells or power steering brackets unless the interior and exterior are perfectly factory correct too.
    Those kind of details can take a long time to figure out and restore to perfection.

Keep in mind.... I'm not an "expert" and I'm not a car show judge.
    I've just spent a lot of time looking at these cars over the past 30 years.
    You're always welcome to start a thread about specific parts if you don't turn up anything through the search function

Somebody did spend quite a bit of time on this car and most of the things I've pointed out would slip by the average car show attendee.

Hope we can be of help with this one... She's a Beauty! :D

10. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    good eye on the brake booster Twisted!! The Quadrajet carbs are set to fit an internal filter, but I have seen them set up externally as well. Also, the EGR valve and Temp reading should be housed in the 2 openings in the water neck. The oil cap seems to be covered by the air cleaner neck. Just different from mine FYI. Get the numbers off of the carb and engine and we should be able to unclue some more!!