Just finished Lt1 swap..

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Baseballstud, Feb 2, 2006.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca

2. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    I guess I asked the question wrong, as I understand it the TBI that I have now needs 12-15 lbs pressure to work and the LT1 needs 40-50 to function. Is there a pump that I can put in my tank on the truck to meet the needs of the LT1? I'm new to the computer operated cars, I'm an old SBC guy doing this truck for my Grandson. I read your whole thread and it was GREAT! I'm thankful every day that I still live in a place where some Bureaucrat isn't telling me how to build my engines. Thanks

3. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    You might be able to use a fuel pump from a 89-92 Camaro/Firebird 350 TPI in place of the TBI pump.

4. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    I just looked this pump up and it will do what I need and it looks like it will fit my tank! Thanks alot guys, One more question answered for the ol fart...:D

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Yes, the TPI fuel pump will allow the engine to function, just keep in mind that it
    wont solve fuel starvation issues if your tank isnt baffled. You can use a bucket
    from a modern GM car that has a sock and is spring loaded to fit different height
    tanks. These are common.

[​IMG]

Tom

6. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    Thank you! This has been a real adventure for me. I'm looking at PSI to do the computer wiring set, up any advise on that?

7. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    You can program out the EGR and VATS yourself with a cable from moates and free software. That is exactly what I did (I kept the EGR for California however).

8. Baseballstud

Baseballstud Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Jax, fl
    Hey guys, this post has generated alot of questions over the last 11 years so I will try and answer the most common ones. This swap was on a 71 Camaro btw.
    I was in college and making like $8/hr but had a very knowledgeable father and family friends that helped get me started and figure out some issues along the way.. So to say I was on a tight budget is an understatement, this was very much a budget build.
    Yes, I used the factory harness from the police package Caprice and it kicked my butt.. Painless makes a plug and play kit that is much cleaner looking and will save time and frustration.
    Step 1 before you start anything get a full wiring schematic or your car and the vehicle the motor came from.
    But, I didn't use a painless kit so if you are using a factory harness like I did I would recommendation that you get the vehicle running before you cut or remove any wires. Once it is running with all the wires still hooked up connect a starter switch and run the car after every 5 or so wires that you cut. Don't just turn it over, actually run it for 30 seconds or so. Vats system can deceive you.
    Speaking of that, I used a cheap vats delete that I purchased off eBay.
    I got alot of Fuel Pump, questions, I used an inline fuel pump.. It was a Walbro 255 LPH. Looking back, an in tank pump would of been a cleaner look but I wanted to get it back on the road.
    AC: If you want ac you are going to have to notch the frame, we used an ac delete bracket instead of the compressor. Required no modifications.
    Alot of head questions, i used what was available which was factory heads from the Caprice and headers from the garage. The motor was not extremely powerful and by no means a crazy fast car but would still smoke the tires and sounded like it was supposed to.
    Other than that feel free to ask any questions. I'll have to see if I can find any pictures of the swap.

9. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    I picked up a wrecked 94 z28 with a 6speed and 130k on the clock for $1200. After I pulled the engine and trans, I sold the rolling chassis to a junk yard for $200. I didn't want or need the 6 speed so I sold it for $800. So I basically made my money back. Spent a few bucks on the engine and swap (carb intake, gasket kit for the engine, hoses, belt, A/C delete pulley, steering box and hoses, water pump and a fuel tank with in tank pump) and I was all set. Everything else I used from my old engine and it all swapped over easily.

I kept all the efi parts, if I ever want to use it, I have it. If not, it can collect dust in my garage :smokin:

10. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    Just re read this thread, in my build post I forgot to mention that I drilled out the "Weep' hole in the water pump and tapped it out to 1/8 pipe thread and screwed in a barb fitting and attached a hose to it and routed it away from the opti... now it will piss on the ground!!