Just finished Lt1 swap..

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Baseballstud, Feb 2, 2006.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

Jul 19, 1999
    NY zip 12538
    The LT1 is a great choice for upgrading to FI on a budget. I can do an LT1 swap for less than people are spending on a set of LSx conversion headers, and it is less work considering I can use the factory oil pan, mounts, front drive system, and either factory exhaust manifolds or cheap common headers.

2. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 17, 2003
    BC, Canada
    First of all, with reverse-flow cooling the LT1 can run a lot higher compression ratio than conventional or even some LSx applications. 12:1 CR on pump gas with stroker 383 and 396 LT1 engines is not unusual. The heads in ported form make tremendous power -- the fastest N/A LTx up against the fastest N/A LSx is not much difference. You would think there would be, but check out Advanced Induction's website and get ready to be amazed. Those guys have customer cars making unbelievable power with LTx heads. In unported form, stock eliminator LT1 cars are blowing the doors off the traditionally faster cars, like the 375 HP 396 Camaros, 428 SCJ Mustangs and so on, in the 10.70 range and quicker. I would say I believe that makes the LT1 a heck of a lot better than just an average Jack engine.

Sure an LS3 with L92 heads and a solid roller kicks some ass. I'm saying so does an LTx engine properly prepared, and the facts bear this out. I'm not saying one is neccesarily better over another, although both camps have their favorites. The LT1 cars can be had on the relative cheap these days, and for many guys that counts for a lot.

I just don't believe in selling this engine short is all. Just my opinion.

Joekool and CARRILLO S Z like this.
  3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My understanding of the shortcomings of the opti is leaking water pump, too high RPM and the PITA to change it on 4th gens. They are potent engines and given the prices out there a great budget way to move into EFI in an older car.

4. Mike1970RS

Mike1970RS Veteran Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Monroe CT
    I change opti in a 4th gen in 2 hours . It is really not all that bad. changing plugs with mid length header or manifolds is another story .

This is what I want for my 4th gen http://tinyurl.com/qlc63k with a set of AFR 210s or 227s and a nice solid roller .

5. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 17, 2003
    BC, Canada
    A lot of guys install the aftermarket electric water pumps specifically made for the LT1. Apparently they work well and it is a popular upgrade.

6. Sunryz76

Sunryz76 New Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Boscawen, New Hampshire
    I was just fooling around on here, and you guys all gave me the idea to do a search for a complete donor car for the 79 Z I just picked up..... BOOM, 94 T/A with a 6 speed, a thousand bucks. Try getting an LS ANYTHING for a grand...... wow. Now I got 4 wheel discs, 6 speeds, and fuel injection. sure the engine has 165k on it, but it runs good. I'd call that a decent score with a ton of potential for chump change. Actually, that would be a good score at twice the price, and here's a 95 Z-28 with 120k for 2500....... auto car though..... Etc. etc. etc....... And it bears mentioning that my car has got a 150 horse truck engine in it at the moment, a leaky T350, and locked up front brakes due to storage...... Life's funny sometimes, and occasionally it's a good funny.....

Joekool likes this.
  7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Congrats on the score. Those LT1s will make solid power over 200k miles easy.

One of my daily drivers is a 4200 pound Impala SS clone approaching 300k.

Check out the link in my signature for a step by step install, even CA smog legal!

Welcome to the madness.

Tom

8. Dioskouori

Dioskouori Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Deloit, IA
    This thread spans from 06 to 09 when LT1 camaro's were a good alternative and ls1 camaro's were still desirable and the 5th gens were only barely out of production and pretty costly. So of course in 2016 when we are moving into 6th gen's and the LS1 is fairly easy to come by are you gonna find lt1 full cars for dirt cheap.

9. 78camaro53

78camaro53 New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Lansing,MI
    have a 96LT1 in a 78 camaro. I did the install back in 2004, not had any problems. Last year the water pump died and took me more time to get the RTV stuff out than to put the new water pump. My only regret is not having 6 speed.

Now i am trying to change a 4l60E to a T56 Magnum (not LT1 version), so i can still use this trans down the road if i change to a newer LSX based engine...

cheers!!

10. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    I'm in the process of building a LT1 for our 94 C1500 SWB pickup, the reasons I chose it is It fits the truck the same as the original TBI engine, the 4L60E trans hooks up same as stock, my headers and exhaust will all work. It came out of a Buick Roadmaster so it has iron heads, I have a mill so I machined them for screw in studs and guide plates, trimmed the valve guides and opened up the spring pockets. I have Scorpion RR 1.6, I port matched the heads and intake we will use a Howards cam around .560 lift with 110 separation. we will need a 2600 stall converter etc. I have a complete harness and 95 PCM and I need someone to re work it to remove vats, EGR etc. Is anyone out there that still does this. Also what fuel pump to use? Thanks