Just finished Lt1 swap..

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Baseballstud, Feb 2, 2006.

1. ProStreetZ28

ProStreetZ28 Member

Oct 10, 2002
    riverton, UT
    Thunder Performance, which happens to be me, makes a harness that plugs into the factory harness so that you can use it in anything. It has the fuel pump relay, both fan relays, fuses & ALDL connector built into the harness. There are about ten wires to connect to make the engine run. I can also re-flash your PCM to remove the VATS and change the fan temps or set it so that it runs in speed density so that you do not have to run a MAF on the front of the engine.
    Jeff

2. HarleyT

HarleyT Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2001
    Memphis,TN
    the ac compressor will hit the frame with the camaro set up. If you use the corvette set up the bracket is like 75 new from gm,I can find the part # if needed but the expensive part is the compressor, it's like $4-500 just for it.

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Let us know what you find out, I read a year ago that the Corvette bracket
    was no longer available from GM. The Bowers one puts the A/C in the same
    location as the Corvette, and uses the A/C delete pulley down below.

Tom

4. Ironroad9c1

Ironroad9c1 New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Gum spring,Va.
    also all 94-94 b body lt1's had the vented opti ,and you can run a 93 camaro T/B if for some odd reason you want to run a t/v cable , and i also have 180k on my original opti ,and thay is with the w/p leaking on it for months before i had a chance to change it ,also ,do not use a napa water pump for the lt1 , the flow is not nearly the same as a stock gm one.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Guatemala
    i would like to get more info on the harness, i have the complete engine harness, and the body harness, although i have to cut the wires that went into the firewall on the drivers side on a 96 camaro

6. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 17, 2003
    BC, Canada
    LT1 -- a better engine than most realize...

I totally agree. I really like my 1994 Z28 and I have yet to have any issues at all with the stock GM Opti.

From what I have gathered from various other boards concerning the Opti 'issue' on the LT1, it really boils down to the quality of parts you use. If you stick with the GM parts only, you will have next to no problems. Where a LOT of issues start is using aftermarket replacements for the Opti. Guys report numerous issues with MSD Optis, Accel and MSD coil failures, etc.

The only way to go with the stock GM Opti is to use stock GM parts. These parts work great even in a higher performance application than stock. The reliability of aftermarket Opti parts seems to be not too good.

As to other LT1 systems like the Delteq, from what I understand, the guy who made them is apparently quite ill and no longer is able to run his business as of some time ago. The Delteq seems to have a good rep, but -- aside from the business going defunct, one of the parts you have to get through him as it is not a GM part and is no longer available, is the ignition module.

For me, I'll just go down to the dealer and buy the GM parts and have peace of mind.

On another note, I've done some reading on a few LT1 Stock Eliminator LT1 f-bodies, and these cars are positively flying. Stock-lift cam and unported heads running 10.70s or better. This is an engine with a lot of potential.

7. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

May 27, 2008
    South Jersey, NJ

I'm curious why you say that about the napa water pump. I've been running one...and it works just fine. How do you know it flows less? From what I understood they were just remanufactured GM pumps.

8. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

May 27, 2008
    South Jersey, NJ
    The heads are very similar performance wise...the Iron heads flow slightly better, but the Aluminum are a bit lighter. I believe rather than the heads being the main difference there is probably a slight difference between stock tunes. The corvette is naturally going to get a better tune because GM always wanted the Vette to have the most power in the lineup.

I'm running Iron heads and they work very well.

9. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 17, 2003
    BC, Canada
    The Corvette and the f-body LT1 had a bigger cam than the b-body cars, that and a half-point compression ratio decrease from 10.5:1 to 10:1 is the primary reason the b-body LT1 made less power. Because of the cam being smaller, it also had slightly more low RPM torque. The lower CR also allows the b-body cars to run on regular vs. the premium fuel for the Corvette and Camaro.

The iron heads do flow better in stock unported form. That design was used as the template for the L31 Vortec heads in GM trucks beginning in 1996.

10. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

May 23, 2007
    MD

The opti is ok while it works. I had the LT1 in my 97 trans am. I got lucky and caught the water pump (junk pumps on LT1 engines) at 78,000 miles just starting to leak out of the weap hole. Guess where that leak was going? The OPTI. Had I not caught it I would have shorted out the opti after a while and thats why the opti got a bad name.

The BIG question in my mind is why bother with an LT1 anyway? It is nothing special at all. Same old cast iron block and average at best aluminum heads with an average at best fuel injection setup and average amount of power. Alot of work for very little in my oppinion.