Just a 79 camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by PTC, Jun 12, 2016.

1. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Hoping engine side is near to be completed - the only item left is AC hoses. Some time was used for transmission rebuild - from long tail TH350C to short tail TH350 + replacing all bushings, frictions, seals and doing all changes to convert from lockup to non-lockup one. Next step - exhaust.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    Coming along great. Keep up the great work and enjoy your ride. What"s next ?

3. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Thanks for comments; Every time I think that there are only a few things to do - immediately some minor thing will create time-consuming challenges. After exhaust done - some time used for adjusting (cutting and welding and grinding) rear pipes (for 69 Camaro) to fit 79 Camaro - I did start brake bleeding process. But adjustable prop valve brake line connections started to leak. After long fight prop valve seats were broken and I did replace it with ordinary one - with great success - e.g. no leaks. Brakes bleeding done. I did replace nice looking but not so functional hose clamps with not so nice looking but functional clamps. Fluids in, leaks checked and fixed - and after a day or two, (timing needed to be much more advance I was initially thinking) engine was running. Few problems to tackle - tachometer is quite optimistic - by feeling rpm is about 1000, but tach is showing 2500 - using msd hei distributor 8362 (without filter - as told by msd). Water temp gauge is not showing any signs of life - hope its ground issue (as it did work when bench testing) and a clock is not ticking as well - hate to take it apart again - hope some light punch will take it a live. + One thing more - I do have an original horn, but having difficulties to understand how it fits into the hood opening fixture.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dkmurdock and Twisted72 like this.
  4. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Testing power brakes did indicate that booster is not working - replaced it with another used one - still no boosting. So put this thing aside for new ideas and installed nose and windscreen wipers. Having troubles to understand where headlight spring is to be hooked?
    [​IMG]
    And exhaust ends like this and doing good bass when the car is running:
    [​IMG]

Carolina Man likes this.
  5. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Some time passed until last post - brake booster issue was solved with the 3rd booster from rockauto. And feels better. Next item was windscreen washer. Initially, it didn't work and leaked from the valve body. Appeared that new valve body was such a bad quality that there was no option to seal the halves properly together. Had to use old one - and washer operating as expected. And now I have registered car as well - with local number plates on. Took a wild to have power steering to work properly - some time and patience and many liters of steering fluid did the trick.
    [​IMG]
    Now I could start testing car on roads as well.
    Can not get the rear of the hood sitting on the level with fenders - probably it sits on hood seals or even on air cleaner - need to check this out.
    One day engine starts - another day it takes quite an efforts to have it running - another issue to be solved;
    Was wondering how to glue using double-sided tape (no idea how to cut this out) Camaro fender emblems and Berlinetta emblems to the body.
    Still missing lower grill - as the original was so old that started to broke by itself. However - repro ones are silver but original seems to be rather a chrome - like an upper grill.
    And stripes - as original one has golden stripes over the body. Haven't found any repro options ... yet.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Raise the front hood hinge mounts (where they bolt to the fender) to lower the rear of the hood.

I haven't seen a reproduction of the lower Berlinetta grill. Rare item to find. :(
    The starting issue could be the choke settings.
    Or... Gas could be leaving the carburetor bowl while it sits for a few days.

7. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
  8. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Thanks;
    Once I did have a hood level with fenders already but then hideaway wipers did hit the hood. So I did raise the hood up. So far I did learn that lowering hinge's backside will lower rear of the hood, lowering front side - like told - will raise the rear and raising front side will lower rear. But at the same time also nose to hood gap and fender to hood gaps will change as well. But probably time and patience will do the trick.